USB to Serial (Good, Bad, Ugly?)

Get a Socket brand pcimcia dual or quad serial converter. We have converted numerous laptops at our facility to the use of these items. 2 serial ports on a laptop for around $175 or 4 for around $325. Kinda makes your head spin doesn't it?

One more to add to the 'it does NOT work with' list... :(

(n) Mitsubishi (Beijer) E-100 and E-700 Operator Terminals (via E-Designer software)

Again, this is with my cheap Belkin F5U409 USB to Serial adapter.

I ordered a 1747-UIC a week ago, but my distributor said it will be about a month before I receive it. I hope this is because they're recovering from the "poor workmanship and shoddy soldering" Eddie mentioned in THIS POST... ;)

I'm anxious to see if the UIC will be the ultimate USB to Serial solution... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

USB>Serial

Eric,
I was just on a startup were my customer had bought a new laptop (no com port!!) he went to the store and bought the cheapest Usb to serial he could get. I don't know the mfg. I tried using E-Designer with no luck until I enabled the set speed manually featur in the communication settings!

Bob T.

For the original Poster, just wanted to say I grabbed a new Dell Latitude D600 a bit ago, got it with Win 2000 Pro, and it's been behaving extremely well with everything I've thrown at it so far.

It has a serial port, so I haven't bothered with the USB adapters, but it works with the Siemens Profibus PC Card, AB Controlnet and Devicenet PC Cards, direct serial, ethernet, bla bla bla.

For the original poster..

I use a USB to serial cable for connecting the PPI cable to Siemens S7 200 PLC and also for panel display TP 070. So far its working good. It is a startech cable I got in compusa.com. I guess costs $40.

I too did not have a serial port when I purchased my HP laptop. Only change I needed to make was change the newly installed port in device manager (My computer> properties> hardware) as COM1 because most of the devices require COM1 serial connection.

Re: USB>Serial

BTalbot said:
Eric,
I was just on a startup were my customer had bought a new laptop (no com port!!) he went to the store and bought the cheapest Usb to serial he could get. I don't know the mfg. I tried using E-Designer with no luck until I enabled the set speed manually featur in the communication settings!

Bob T.

I tried that with no luck... :(

E-Designer doesn't seem to recognize that COM1 even EXISTS. Here's the error I get:

[attachment]

Did you get THIS error, or just communication timeouts? This is the same error I get with GX Developer. The COM port DOES work with other software (i.e DirectSOFT), just not anything 'Mitsubishi related'... :rolleyes:

Maybe Toshibas and Mitsubishis don't 'play well' with each other?... ;)

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. I also disabled my 'Virtual Infrared COM Port' as recommended by someone recently. The physical IR port is turned off in BIOS as well.

failtoopenport.jpg

One to add to the 'it DOES work with' list... :D

(y) AB MicroLogix 1000

Auto-configured just fine. I think we can assume that ANY RS-232 DF1 devices would also work.

STILL waiting for my UIC to arrive...
17.gif

beerchug

-Eric

I am having trouble with my HP and the Wiretek converter everyone is having success with here in Sydney. I have disabled the modem to allow movement of the com port to anything but 1 (in use according to XP). Had good success at first but updated XP. I wonder if this is having a BAD effect?
Am purchasing one of the Omron tested ones and will see how that goes. At least I will have 2 years warranty. Bit dear that it all but if it works will save a lot of aggravation.
Will report back in a couple of weeks when I have tested it on all and sundry.
beerchug

Update...

I purchased a Keyspan USA-19HS "High Speed" Serial to USB adapter, and can now communicate with the following:

(y) Mitsubishi FX1S through an SC-09 adapter (via GX Developer - FX version 5.00 software)
(y) Mitsubishi (Beijer) E-100 Operator Terminal (via E-Designer Lite software)

I'll test it on the E-700 Operator Terminal soon, but I'm quite sure it will work... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

Additionally...

BTalbot said:
I tried using E-Designer with no luck until I enabled the set speed manually featur in the communication settings!

I did NOT need to do this to use the Keyspan unit. So far, I have not needed to alter ANY settings!... :cool:

beerchug

-Eric

USB to serial

I also use notebook Toshiba Satlelite without serial port ,so I use
USB to serial (Product name ATEN) for connect with PLC ..Mitsubishi Fx and A series also Siemens Step7-200 too.
Beware of comport ,you need to set to USB port may be com3 or 4 or 5
or 6 ..depend on USB port you connected with plc.

Platootod
Mechatronic RIT.Nonthaburi Campus

comport select.jpg

Add some picture

Here is some picture that I use " ATEN "
USB to Serial with PLC MITSUBISHI via Toshiba Notebook PLease check comport ...
My comport (USB)... comport number 6

Platootod

dscn1771666.jpg

Last edited:
ndzied1 said:
Hi All:

I've taken a new job where I need to purchase my own laptop. The company will help finanace an IBM T40 which has reviewed well but has no serial port. The tech guy asked if a USB to Serial adapter would work. That's a good question and I'm not familiar enough with the products I will be working with to know if that is a good idea or not.

The main PLC's I'll be working on are the Moeller ones. As specifications dictate, I could also be working on AB or other PLC's. Other devices will be Pacific Scientific Stepper/Servo Drives, Kollmorgen Servo Drives, Rexroth HNC servo hydraulic controller, IAI automation components.

I myself lean toward Dell (600m and 8600 Inspiron have regular serial ports built in) mostly for the complete care warranty as I have already had one laptop killed in the field and a warranty like that could have saved me! Does anyone know whether IBM has a similar warranty (basically, almost everything besides theft is covered,... even the dreaded spilled coffee in the keyboard ).

Thanks

nOrM

Been there, done that.
The only answer, IMO, is ASUS.
They are strong as trucks, they survive a life spent between
offices and field life (factories, buildings yet to be finished,
cold, mine even had to work with rain and me offering poor
protection).
My next one will be a model L3350M/XP.

Definitely go for the Dell. I have an Inspiron 8500 (the one with the P4 instead of the centrino chipset). I looked long and hard before I bought it and virtually discounted all other manufacturers due to the lack of serial, or if they had serial like the Toshia Tecra, the specs were far better for the Dell for less money. It works perfectly for most applications and do not get put off by the fact that it may not come with Win2K, mine did not either. I had to search a bit for some drivers (USB 2.0 support, IR and for the optional USB floppy drive believe it or not) but after I found them it works perfectly.

I have used this with several different PLC and other applications with no problems at all.

If you can go for the best screen (the one with the 1900X1200 resolution) it is well worth it.

IBM, Sony and Toshiba I've been using worked ok but they all
had few rough edges. Then by boss bought me an Compaq.

What a masterpiece... bawling

I had my own Dell, and it was like charm.
I can only recommend Dell.

(y)