USb to Serial port

berrabbit5849

We are about to get RSLogic500. Currently we do not have a computer with a serial port. I see cables on the market that are USB to SERIAL. Will these work with the software ?
Also I have not set up any AB software in a while. I always had problems configuering the com port. Wit Win XP Pro is this going to be automatic or do I have to do it manually? Will be using a
A-B 1761CBLPM02 COMMUNICATION and a
A-B 1747-CP3 RS-232 CABLE.
Will be connecting to a Micrologic 1500 and a SLC 5/03.

Keyspan USA-19H

You can pay less but you can't find a better one. I justed tested mine with Windows 7 x64 and Crimson 3 to a G304K serially and with RSLogix 500 to a SLC 5/05 using DF1.

No problems whatsoever. Just install the driver, plug it in, and it will take the lowest COM port number available. It also comes with some software to assist you. I have only used it a few times but it comes highly praised and I have not heard of any industrial device that won't work with the Keyspan and will work with a different brand.

Keyspan USA-19H

I've always just bought a cheap USB -> RS232 adapater from ebay for around $10. I also think Radioshack has fairly decent ones for around $20.

Only problem with buying cheap ones off ebay is it takes a while for them to come in and alot of times you have to find your own drivers (especially for windows 7). If you are cheap, not in a hurry, and are computer savy, you could probably get buy with a cheap off-brand hong kong special. If you want decent support, go name brand.

I've had good luck with Belkin EM449AA. Supports my Win7 64bit host, thus works with the VMware XP guests.

AB has a technote on recommended converters. The technote number is 20525 but it requires a techconnect account to access it (yet another one of the many that really shouldn't).

The technote lists the Keyspan USA19 and Belkin F5U103 as converters that have been tested and found to work with AB PLCs and software.

AB also offers its own 9300-USBS converter. I have both it and the Keyspan USA19H. The AB 9300-USBS stays in bottom drawer of the file cabinet only because I haven't gotten around to throwing it away and I might "need" it someday.

I have both the keyspan USA19 and the Belkin f5U103. The Belkin is a USB-1 from year 2000. The Belkin is easier for Virtual XP to connect(find) but they both work for RS232/DF1. RSLinx usually has no issues, but sometimes the computers choose COM3 or COM4, whenever that really isn't necessary and you may need to go into the Device Manager and confirm or change which COM port is being selected. RSLinx doesn't look around at different COM ports.

narlin