Use RedLion G315 HMI Ethernet Auxiliary Port to Communicate to PLC

Sombrero

Hi guys,

This may be a dumb question, but here it is. Is it possible to use the ethernet auxiliary port of a G315 Redlion HMI to communicate with an Allen-Bradley PLC (ML1400)?.

I've communicated with a PLC before, but only through the main ethernet port.
I'm currently using the main port to download a CSV file with data from the HMI to my PC via websync, that's why I cant use the main port to communicate to the PLC. But the PLC seem to only answer to the main port, but it does not answer to the auxiliary port. Any ideas or recomendations?

Thanks in advance!! Have a nice day :ROFLMAO:

I had always assumed this to be possible but never have tried it. After looking at your file, I can see that it is not clear how you go about assigning a device under the protocol to one port or the other. So the quick answer might be for you to use the 2nd Ethernet port for your FTP functionality and the main port for the PLC. I would think you could just swap the IP addresses of the ports, download, and swap the cables to find out if this will work for you...

This question might get a fast answer from Red Lion tech support, and please do post your findings if you learn something about this. i have a couple of projects coming up in which I was considering dual Ethernet ports for similar reasons as yours.

You can't have both Ethernet ports on the same sub net (xxx.xxx.0.xxx). Doing this will cause only the main Enet port to work.

The point of having duel Ethernet ports is so that you can talk to two LAN networks without having to also use a router.

Also, you don't need to assign a protocol to a specific port, the RedLion device will do it automatically.

Last edited:
Perfect. Nice answer @BenDruck, right to the point. Never thought of that, and now It's registered for everyone to see. Thanks for the help.

(y)