Using FTView Studio ME to transfer over Enet

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I have FTVS ME 8.10 and I'm trying to upload PV+ programs over Eth/IP. I have an RSLinx Enterprise driver but I can't seem to make any changes or configure it. What do I need to do so that the driver can be set up for our network so that I can get online with the PV+ programs so that I don't have to go to each terminal individually?

In FTView Studio use the Communications tab in the lower right and setup your stations their. The File Transfer utility looks at that configuration.

That is just for the application communications right? I'm trying to perform a remote UPLOAD though, so I should be able to do this without a project open if I'm not mistaken.

you need to configure rslinx enterprise communication path in rsview me 1st, after that you dont need to have the application open.

you need to configure rslinx enterprise communication path in rsview me 1st, after that you dont need to have the application open.

This is the problem. I am unsure of how to configure said communications path. It seems to be eluding me :(

Like JaxGTO said, in the communication tab in the project explorer pane on the left side on FTView Me.
If the PV is not on your comm network, you might need to add the device manually, so you will need to know the IP.

I do know the ip, but we have several VLANs on our network. This generally isn't an issue as long as the device's default gateway is configured correctly for that VLAN. I just can't configure anything with RSLinx enterprise in the Transfer Utility and on the communications tab I can't do anything. It is worth noting that I do not have any project open if that makes a difference.

like we said, its configured in the communication tab in rsview, not the transfer utility.

try opening a project, I dont have my machine in front of me to test if it works without a project

I'll tinker/upload a screen shot tomorrow. I didn't bring my lappy home today either. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!

Here's how I do it, hope this will help you.

1 - open a project
2 - go to the communication tab
3 - right click where your panel is located and add any adapters missing to get to your panel

The panel "PV - stacker" in the pic was added that way since its on a device network and not on the comm network. There are way more devices on that subnet but since I only need to transfer my MERs with RSLinx Enterprise, I didnt add every device on that subnet.

Also, when choosing a panel model in the manual add device window, you don't need to be extra picky about the one you choose. There are quite a few choices, but it doesn't matter if it's a 6 or plus, etc... it's more for identification than configuration.

viewme_3_PROC.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, that was what I was looking for. Appreciate it. Turns out you need to have a project open in order to make driver configuration changes, which is kind of strange if you are working on multiple terminals/networks. The other thing I see here is an error that says:

"Failure to bind to the listening TCP socket" which is telling me for some reason I don't have it attached to a network device correctly. However, I'm not seeing any network card that is attached to the data network. I'll post when I figure it out.🔨

Okay, got it this time. I had to use the "..." browse button to get the filename off of the PV device. On top of that the device had a virtual rack for the "system." I'm not quite sure why everything has a virtual device yet, but I was able to connect and get the program off of each device.

Glad it worked.

The rack under the panel view is not virtual, you can actually stack communication modules on top of CPU. You can see a bus slot on the back of the processor(red circle), and screw holes to bolt the addon module down (blue circles).

pv1000-crop.jpg

Last edited:
I get it. I have actually ran into one of these before for an old DH485 connection on a 5/04. I've been trying to talk the company into upgrading to a 5/05 but they have not wanted to do it yet. They want to wait until it breaks, which I can sort of understand. The problem is we won't be dealing with a processor swap-out we will be dealing with a coms reconfiguration too!