Vacuum Control Module

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have several vacuum furnaces that were are looking in to upgrading the control's. My question is does anyone currently have vacuum furnaces that are totally controlled by the PLC? I prefer Allen Bradley either a SLC or PLC-5 system. All of the individual control's (program, temp, etc...) can easily be replaced by PLC modules. It is the vacuum controller that I needed to know if there is a module out there just for that function. Also, we use PID for temp control and I would like to know if there is a module specifically designed for PID or if it is just a function of the PLC program. I looked at the website and couldn't find anything but I'm pretty sure someone here already has a system similar in use. Thank you.

Our company has upgraded 20+ furnaces of all kinds - including vacuum furnaces - using the Honeywell HC900. We have also used it for a wide range of other control appications and I highly recommend it. Since this is what we do for a living, I obviously can't provide you with a configuration (even as a starting point because all furnaces are different) but I would recommend that you contact your local Honeywell Rep/Distributor if you are interested.

It has all "stuff" you need in the form of control blocks for PID, Ramp/Soak profiles, etc.

I worked with a guy that did about 10 vacuum furnace programs. He did all the controls in the PLC.
if it where me I would use RS5000 family hardware. Just personal preference.
What are you going to use for your temperature feedbacks? What are they going to feed into PLC cards? RTD, mv, ma.
You can do all the PID in the PLC. You may want to be watchout how many loops you have. I was thinking that the SLC where limited by the number of loops you can have. There are ways around this but it is ugly at it's best and a nightmare at 4am in a plant you have never seen before. (Yes this is the voice of a been there done that)

I have done several vacuum furnaces with all of the control being performed in the PLC. I have used SLC5/05, Micrologix, and ControlLogix PLCs.

The temperature control is the easy part. You'll find it a little harder to interface your vacuum instrumentation - most vacuum instruments with analog outputs are not linear and not easy to curve fit to. Look for instruments that communicate via serial, device-net, or ethernet/IP.

Do not do your over-temperature limit in the PLC. It should be a separate stand alone controller rated as an over-limit safety device and put it on its own sensor.

LOL. Lots of vacuum furnaces are controlled by PLC... I used to work for a company that made them.

If the OEM is still around, call them and see what they're selling today. You may be able to buy a control system from them.

If not, sure you can control it with a PLC, very well. The harder part is the operator interface. PID functions are built into most PLCs, certainly into SLCs (I wouldn't recommend buying a PCL5 for this. Temperature control can often be done better by using separate loop controllers for each zone, and just having the PLC send the desired setpoints and ramp rates. Ramps, though, are often done by setting up the ramp in the PLC and then having it adjust the SP every few seconds... or minutes... so that the oven follows the desired curve. Nothing needed but an analog input for SP at the loop controller, which means you can use a pretty cheap controller. If you go fieldbus even better, but more expensive.

As Alaric says, vacuum instruments are often non-linear. With a PLC, that's simple - either program an equation into the PLC, which is a lot easier these days, or simply create a look up table. We used look up tables and interpolation in the 1990's; they have probably never been updated, knowing the guys I used to work with! Again, your OEM if still there has probably had all this for years. If not, it's straightforward to do but writing that first program and then debugging is expensive as always.

Yeah, if you have a vacuum controller then you need to replicate the "control" funtion in the PLC. Not very hard to do, once you figure out how to process the vacuum signal, and once you understand the processes you want to run. The outputs will be replaced by those on the PLC, and you have to write the logic that drives them.

Finally, though, once you have it running under PLC control how do you interact with it? If you have a nice silk screen panel with lights and switches, you can of course keep it. Or, you can write an HMI to go with the controller. Fun, but again expensive.

Good luck - it will work, but check your ROR and make sure that there's a good reason for spending the time and money. If you're adding capability, or decreasing OPR workload, then that may be the reason. If you're just replacing the controls because the existing ones are obsolete, well, you might want to consider just replacing all the loop controllers and vacuum instruments with their current equivalents, program them the same way the old ones are, and get another 10 years out of the new electronics.

Last edited: