VERY off topic!!! HDMI Signal!

PLC Pie Guy

Hey there.
Just wondering if anybody might know something about the AV world. I want to hook up a second TV for the wife in our bedroom. However my satellite receiver only has one HDMI output. This used to be easy as I would simply run the old coax connection to a splitter and voilà. I am wondering if such a splitter exists for HDMI and is there any risk to my electronics from splitting this signal. I am considering making a cable but again I don't want to damage anything.
I figure somebody must have did this before me.

Thanks to any suggestions.

Bear in mind you cant always split an HDMI signal due to copy protection handshake (HDCP) built into the signal. I think this is more true in blue ray players and cable boxes (satellite boxes too maybe), but the "feature" does exist and you need to be aware of it when things don't work.

You can buy an HDMI receiver with more than one output. This would even allow your two TVs do display from different sources, like the box and a roku (a splitter would just mirror the image/audio on a second screen, you couldn't do separate channels).

From my dealings with the satellite companies the "proper answer" is to call the company and have them drop off another receiver, granted there will most likely be a monthly rental fee associated with it. But far as I know that is the only way to guarantee that you will receive complete (and legal) functionality (tv guide, independent channel switching etc.) on the second TV. My Dad's house has 2 or 3 of these receivers in them. Granted the monthly fee sucks but if it breaks or gets outdated (both do happen occasionally) you call them say come get your POS and give me a working one.

EDIT: by it breaking I mean it just stop working, I don't think incindental damage is covered.

Last edited:
I wish I could think my complete thought before I hit post...

Also if you buy an aftermarket receiver you often still have to get it authenticated somehow by the company. They used to use cards, now I think it is all digital key. If you go to buy a aftermarket one make sure you will be able to use it on the satellite company's authentication system.

The major issue with any splitter is the satellite box will still only let you watch 1 channel at a time. No matter how many times you split the video up. To me that defeats the purpose have to walk into the living room to change the bedroom channel...I want to watch football she wants HGTV.

I recommend if you are going to spend money make sure the two TVs are independent.
But that is just my opinion.