VFD Carrier Frequency Question

gcallen

I am looking into a project at my new job to reduce audible noise in our facility and have some VFD questions.

The application in question has 4 siemens 500 HP motors that are powered by siemens sinamics drives.

These units are very loud and I noticed that the carrier frequency is arout 1.5 Khz. Looks like the default is 4 Khz.

I know increasing this will reduce audible noise and IIRC it will also cause more heat and losses in the drive but less heat and losses in the motor sine the supply will be closer to true sine.

Why would someone set carrier frequency as low as 1.5 Khz though? Can you harm anything by it being too low?

Just trying to gain some more insight before I look into making any changes.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank You.