VFD SLS with no encoder

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
Is there a VFD that can do SLS without an encoder to ANY motor. I know siemens has it but you have to have a special motor from them.
/Tim

It's not something I've used, but my G120 course notes say that SLS does not require encoder feedback on the G120. Requires a CU240E-2 F or a CU250S-2 control unit. Will probably also require start drive advanced, safety advanced and it mentions that each axis requires a licence but unsure which specific licence it means.

The only mention of specific motors is this:
"Encoder-less operation is possible for all asynchronous motors and the synchronous motors 1FU8 (SIEMOSYN)"

I looked up 1FU8 and they're all synchronous motors, so I'd take that to mean any asynchronous motor can be used but only that specific synchronous motor.

Siemens also says that the G130 and G150 have the SLS function.

I read "The use of this safety function without encoder is permitted for asynchronous (induction) motors or synchronous motors of the SIMOTICS A-1FU series (previously: SIEMOSYN)"

https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/WW/Catalog/Products/10290371

May be worth asking Siemens technical support about this wording if it fits the bill for your project.

IÂ’m reading that as:
-Any asynchronous motor
-Synchronous motors of the 1FU series

But it could well be
-asynchronous motors of the 1FU series
-synchronous motors of the 1FU series

But a quick google only returns results of synchronous motors.