View Studio Failed to resolve item's ID

andrewbf

First time posting. I'm just a mechanical engineer trying to be a programmer so bear with me on some potentially stupid questions. I'm attempting to use an RMPS block to provide a setpoint for a PIDE block to get my pump to automatically ramp up and down. The Logix 5000 code builds and downloads without errors. But when I click the button I have created in FactoryTalk View to open the RMPS faceplate I get the following error:

Failed to resolve item's ID '#4[9]' because it does not exist on any server.

I get a LOT of these errors just with different numbers. How do I interpret this error? Where are the numbers trying to direct me?

Thank you!
Andrew

View error.png

That error is caused by incorrect communication setup and/or addressing in View Studio. It is looking for a tag '#4[6]' but is not able to find it.

I don't deal with faceplates, but the '#4' makes me suspect you need to set up parameter(s)

Faceplates don't have exact tag names specified. Instead, they use placeholders like #1, #2, and so on. When it comes time to run a display that is using these faceplates you must "plug-in" your tags to replace those placeholders.

This is done using parameter files. A parameter file essentially says:

#1 = MyRMPSTagName

Any additional parameters would be included as well. If memory serves, I think the RMPS might use four parameters. One for the RMPS tag, one for the Ramp Value array, one for the Soak Value array, and then one for the Soak Time array. I think that is right. This information is created and saved in what is called a parameter file. The #4 error is one of those arrays.

When your application opens a graphic display, you need to tell it which parameter file to use to plug in your values.

If you are using any of these pre-made faceplates, they will use placeholders too.

OG

Last edited:
Okay great, thanks! I've been trying to use the help files and found some literature that confirms this. I am still a bit confused on parameter files though. My PIDE faceplates are all working just fine and I didn't never filled out a parameter file. I set a parameter list when creating GoTo buttons to open the faceplates and see there is an option for either parameter file or parameter list. I don't know if I understand the difference. I just linked the GoTo button to the faceplate I'd like it to display and the Function Block I want it to pull information from.

Thanks for the continued help and sorry if I'm explaining this poorly!

Andrew

PIDE and RMPS tags.PNG PIDE tag.PNG GoTo with parameter list.PNG

Wow, okay, I just figured it out. I need to link 4 different parameter lists to that faceplate, which I think you were trying to tell me. I assumed if I link to the RMPS block that the arrays assigned to it would automatically be linked. They are not. So I had to link to the arrays that I created for the soak and ramp values and now all the errors went away.

Thanks for guiding me to this revelation!

Andrew