VOIP & VTScada

Ian762

Has anyone setup the alarm callouts for VTScada over VOIP? Client wants to have a voice dialer type setup and VOIP support for VTScada is not yet available. They are not willing to use the email to text function as they want the operator phones to ring so it would wake any one who is getting the call in the event they were sleeping.

Looking for something more reliable than USB TAPI modem and USB sound card (SCADA server is server class machine without sound card).

Can they not just set the SMS notification sound for the specific alarm cell modem phone number, to be something that will wake any operator up? That's what we do. Mine is a Missile Launch Siren. It goes on for over 30 seconds and wakes both me and the missus. Never missed an alarm in 10 years. Got plenty of "go sleep in the spare room!" Though.

My problem with voice is that the operator wakes up half asleep, to a computer talking to them. Anyone who has been woken up at 3am takes at least 60 seconds to really be able to to process any information. By that stage the audio call has probably ended. Operator can't re-read it like he does a text message (after a coffee). Time to dial into SCADA hopefully... and not just go back to sleep because you *think* it was something minor.

Also a large process disturbance can generate multiple alarms, which will tie up a voice dialer for much longer than the fraction of a second to send an SMS.

I'd suggest your client moves with the times.. I know, often hard to politely tell them that.

I had thought about having the notification fire off quickly with no reply to "simulate" a ring, but had not thought about an obnoxious notification sound.

And yes, totally agree clients often are stuck in the past. Thanks

Can they not just set the SMS notification sound for the specific alarm cell modem phone number, to be something that will wake any operator up? That's what we do. Mine is a Missile Launch Siren. It goes on for over 30 seconds and wakes both me and the missus. Never missed an alarm in 10 years. Got plenty of "go sleep in the spare room!" Though.

My problem with voice is that the operator wakes up half asleep, to a computer talking to them. Anyone who has been woken up at 3am takes at least 60 seconds to really be able to to process any information. By that stage the audio call has probably ended. Operator can't re-read it like he does a text message (after a coffee). Time to dial into SCADA hopefully... and not just go back to sleep because you *think* it was something minor.

Also a large process disturbance can generate multiple alarms, which will tie up a voice dialer for much longer than the fraction of a second to send an SMS.

I'd suggest your client moves with the times.. I know, often hard to politely tell them that.

I have something similar setup for our boiler.

All the staff have AT&T for the carrier and sometimes they are not timely pushing the text through.

Has anyone had that before? We've had circumstances were it took over an hour.

I have something similar setup for our boiler.

All the staff have AT&T for the carrier and sometimes they are not timely pushing the text through.

Has anyone had that before? We've had circumstances were it took over an hour.

That used to be a problem around New Years Eve for us... everyone overloading the network with "Happy New Year!". Hasn't been an issue for several years now, the carriers seem to have sufficient capacity, or probably everyone is now using data driven social media apps for that.

Setting up alarm callouts for VTScada over VOIP is a smart move for ensuring timely responses. Since VOIP support for VTScada isn't available yet, you might want to explore alternative options.

Setting up alarm callouts for VTScada over VOIP is a smart move for ensuring timely responses. Since VOIP support for VTScada isn't available yet, you might want to explore alternative options.

One possibility is to consider a third-party voice dialer system that integrates with VTScada and supports VOIP. This could provide the functionality you need without relying on email-to-text.
For more insights on handling callouts effectively, you can make notes on call notes feature. It could help streamline your alarm notification process and ensure all important details are captured.