wago modbus tcp help needed

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for a tool to backup/restore all my retentive located data from a wago 750-862 via modbus tcp.
The wago address 12,288 equates to MW0.

It sounds like what you want is a simple manually-triggered batch program that will read a range of Modbus/TCP registers and store them in a file on demand, and then do the reverse to write them from the file to the PLC on demand.

Is that correct ?

How much programming do you want to do, and in what languages are you comfortable programming ?

What storage file format do you prefer ? The options I would guess are a CSV text file, or an SQL database table, or an Excel spreadsheet.

There's going to be a tradeoff between cost and effort, of course. Some folks would be happy with Excel and VBA. Some will grab a Python library and an SQL table. Others will buy a scripting Modbus tool like Aggsoft's data logger.

It sounds like what you want is a simple manually-triggered batch program that will read a range of Modbus/TCP registers and store them in a file on demand, and then do the reverse to write them from the file to the PLC on demand.

Is that correct ?
- yes

How much programming do you want to do, and in what languages are you comfortable programming ?
I'm not currently familiar w/ a programming language that isn't part of an hmi or plc language.
I guess this could be a project to change that.
I just figured someone probably already wrote one.
Similar to Schneider's data downloader (doesn't work for the wago).

Does the software you use to program the unit not have the function/ability to do that?

Why didn't I think of that? he he just kidding.

Mainly replying to keep thread active as this problem is not yet solved.

I'm only on 4.1 of the python tutorial.
But I learned that -3**2 = -9 and that #! is pronounced """she bang""" and indentation is like somewhat important, and, and, and....

Do you need it for changing PLC and backup or for remianing sama state as before power outage?

For latter you can code persistent area on PLC, then copy MW-area timed intervals to persistent area and restore modbus data after power outage.

Do you need it for changing PLC and backup or for remianing sama state as before power outage?

For latter you can code persistent area on PLC, then copy MW-area timed intervals to persistent area and restore modbus data after power outage.

For backup and restore.
I store 3 years worth of historical data in the plc that I would like to be able to load into a replacement plc if needed.
I have a 1500 tag limit (I hate these) on my hmi.
It could most likely be done in the hmi w/ some work.
WashHist AT %MW4000 ARRAY[1..12,1..31,1..10] OF INT;
So, 3,720 16 bit INTS starting from %MW4000 (0 based) w/ an offset of 12,288 because codesys bs).

I thought a lot of people used codesys.
How is this not already a thing?

ICC has a free Modbus Master Tool which the primary purpose is to backup and restore parameters of a Modbus Server/Slave device. The tool can also be used to periodically log values. Both Modbus/TCP and Modbus RTU are supported. The template for the registers to backup are defined using XML. After you perform an upload, you can create a data file that can later be downloaded to the device to restore the values. We have YouTube tutorial videos available.

Here is a link to the ICC Modbus Master Tool:
http://www.iccdesigns.com/software/43-icc-modbus-master-tool.html

Awesome! Thanks!

ICC has a free Modbus Master Tool which the primary purpose is to backup and restore parameters of a Modbus Server/Slave device. The tool can also be used to periodically log values. Both Modbus/TCP and Modbus RTU are supported. The template for the registers to backup are defined using XML. After you perform an upload, you can create a data file that can later be downloaded to the device to restore the values. We have YouTube tutorial videos available.

Here is a link to the ICC Modbus Master Tool:
http://www.iccdesigns.com/software/43-icc-modbus-master-tool.html

It works! Thank you so much.