washing machine

Maybe I'm not looking as deeply into this as I should be, but it appears to me that the CLR boxes are nothing more than "unlatch" instructions. May I ask what the advantage is?

Maybe I'm not looking as deeply into this as I should be, but it appears to me that the CLR boxes are nothing more than "unlatch" instructions. May I ask what the advantage is?
Two reasons: 1) It does not matter from which state you transitioned, there is always one and only one true state for each machine section. I don't care which bit is already true within that group at the end of the rung, I know that conditions were met to switch to the new one, so I make sure they are all off, and set only that one.
2) I usually (haven't looked at this example recently) use the highest bit in the group as a flag to limit state changes to one per PLC scan in some cases. For example, a program has 25 states and uses the same timer done bit as a transition condition for all of them so that the machine spends a minimum time in each step before checking other conditions and advancing. This timer is updated separately in the control logic part of my program, so I look at my "State Not Changed" flag on each transition branch in series with that timer DN bit to keep from jumping through multiple steps in a single scan.

So, using the CLR or FLL takes care of erasing the old state and clearing that flag, then the OTL provides a distinct (searchable) place marking the only rung in the program that causes that state of operation to become true. Maybe later I add four new states and seven branches. The CLR or FLL is already done for existing states, I just add my new branches.

The code is not optimized for speed or I would just use a MOV, or pure bit logic state engine style (which I think Archie has posted great examples of ).

It is optimized for readability and functionality, making it easy to go from human readable flowchart to working logic and back.

Last edited: