water hardness tester

andrea

HI guys
I am looking for a tester with a 4-20ma or 0-10v output to test the hadness of water after a softner? I dont know if the term "water hardness " is the correct wording.
Andrea :cool:

Thanks for the reply.

Would a Total Dissolved Solids meter be the same meter to use after a RO system?
Thanks

Andrea,

You would use a T.D.S. transmitter anywhere that you want to measure the hardness (what is in the water besides H2O). If you want to measure acidity, then use a pH transmitter.

Andrea

I think the question you are trying to ask is this
IF using RO (reverse osmosis) to separate water from a contaminant (X)
HOW do I detect contaminant (X) concentration in water
X can be a single compound or a group ie dissolved solids ie salts or other ionic compounds.
If you are filtering out dissolved solids use a TDS detector.

Dan Bentler

Andrea,
What part of the Emerson Analytical site could you not read? The Total Dissolved Solids "conductivity transmitter" is plainly listed under Model Xmt-C and -T:

Model Xmt–C Contacting Conductivity Transmitter• MEASURES CONDUCTIVITY, RESISTIVITY, TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS, OR CUSTOM CURVE VARIABLEAUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE SENSOR RECOGNITION simplifies start up• AUTOMATIC COMPENSATION FOR SENSOR CABLE RESISTANCE improves accuracy of high conductivity/ low resistivty measurements *• BUILT-IN TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION ALGORITHMS include straight slope, ultrapure water, cation conductivity, and no compensation

Model Xmt–T Toroidal Conductivity Transmitter• MEASURES CONDUCTIVITY, RESISTIVITY, TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS OR CUSTOM CURVE VARIABLEAUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE SENSOR RECOGNITION simplifies start up• AUTOMATIC/MANUAL TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION ensures accurate monitoring and control• BUILT-IN CONCENTRATION CURVES for 0-12% NaOH, 0-15% HCl, 0-20% NaCl, and 0-25% H2SO4, and 96.0-99.7% H2SO4• PROGRAMMABLE REFERENCE TEMPERATURE enables temperature compensation to temperatures other than 25 degrees Celsius• AUTOMATIC COMPENSATION FOR SENSOR CABLE RESISTANCE improves accuracy of high conductivity measurements *

Last edited:
you flame her for not listening but you know not of what you speak

what part of hardness don't you understand?

tds != hardness

tds = disolved salts

hardness = disolved calcium, magnesium, and a variety of other metals.

Chill out people :p

WWTK

I have bought some good process equip. from Omega.com. Some stuff is reasonable. Also, TDS is the meter I used for R/O.

Last edited:
wwtk said:
what part of hardness don't you understand?

tds != hardness

tds = disolved salts

hardness = disolved calcium, magnesium, and a variety of other metals.

Chill out people :p

WWTK

WWTK,

They are probably pretty cool by now. This thread is three years old.

For that rare circumstance where someone actually searches the archives, the info and link below describe why either TDS or conductivity can only approximate "hardness" because both measure ions that contribute to hardness, as well as ions that do not contribute to hardness.

Key points:
Total dissolved solids (TDS) refers to a measure of all inorganic solids dissolved in the water. This means that it will measure ions that contribute to water hardness, tike calcium, but also those that do not, like sodium.

While conductivity is a convenient way to get an approximation of the hardness of water it does have the drawback of combining all ions in the measurement, including those that do not contribute to the water’s hardness.

http://www.globalw.com/support/hardness.html

Dan