Web based PLC5 remote input

skyhawk8

Hello,

We have two AB PLC5 Ethernet processors running our facility. We recently had a divert line installed on a transport conveyor to allow us to recycle cardboard from any station in the system to be dumped directly into our baler. We have double verification to ensure we don't accidentally dump product. When we have an issue the spur line stops and an operator must climb to verify that the box is or is not product. He can then clear the fault restart the spur and off we go.

My supervisor asked if there's a way to use a web page to allow facility supervisors, by use of a web cam to verify what is sitting on the spur and if it's OK to dump use this web page to clear the spur line directly from there desk.

I've looked but the only thing I can see are HMI's and this is what he's trying to avoid.

I'm new at the whole HMI, remote operating station thing so any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve this is doable. A HMI acting a a web server. Why do you want to stay away from a HMI? I would use a Red Lion G3 or Data station plus & Banner vision system. You could also use a Proface with a video card and a camera. Eiher one is a good setup.

I'm going to break one of my favorite Forum rules (again!) and post a "I haven't done exactly this but I recommend it anyhow".

I would use Inductive Automation's Ignition software. IA has a "Panel Edition" license that they provide at no charge, so your cost is going to be a cheap PC and an IP-based webcam like an Axis or Panasonic.

This won't strictly be a "web page", but rather a Java applet that is launched like a webpage. Your manager or operator will click on a browser shortcut to launch the application and be presented with a display that includes the video stream and indicators and buttons that reflect the PLC-5E status and commands.

The Ignition software is not quite as easy to use as some packaged HMI's, but the connectivity to PLC-5E is straightforward, the IP Camera Viewer object is built right in, and it launches like a web page. The installation of the software is fantastically easy and fast; if you install it on a PC that's running 24/7 and just leave it in the background you probably won't know it's there.

A direct link to the User Manual page about the IP Camera Viewer:

http://inductiveautomation.com/support/usermanuals/ignition/index.html?display_pmiipcamviewer.htm

Last edited: