What are the benefits of using safety modules

Prince

I was just using 3TK safety modules from Siemens or other brands and I had no problem with them. I always recommended my customers to use them for their emergency guarding. I might have some limited understanding of their durability, reliability or speed but I thought there might be professionals here who are kind enough to supply me with more information

One customer asked me why he is paying more for a job that can be done with one or two relays or cheap contractors? He wants to know about the exact benefits he is getting from his extra 200$

They are designed to be redundant so if one relay fails the other can still maintain safety. The designs are such that a failure of one relay can be detected at failure and replaced before it becomes dangerous. Depending on the safety relay, some can also detect short circuits and defects in input sensors such as e-stop switches.

Cheap relays are not redundant, they do not have force guided contacts which allow for detection of a failure, nor do they have pulse testing to detect shorts or input failures, and they don't have paper work certifying them for use in safety critical applications. So, those $200 is providing them with something that is designed and rated to do the job. Cheap compared to some getting injured or worse because you had an undetected failure of a 'cheap' relay.

Last edited:
Hi

I have no idea what part of the world you work in but
Its normally not that hard to look up the local standards
If you are installing safety relays then I would think you should be able to explain why they are needed, now I hope that does not come across as being
Rude.
Where I live and work we must carry out a risk assessment first, this helps us identify the hazards and then we try to engineer these out. As part of this
We come up with a safety rating required, let that be SIL or category
I know of no standard that allows the use of CHEAP relays to do this.
If you are carrying out these installs , I say that even if you have never looked at the local standards you know it’s not correct. If you have installed any safety relay you understand how they work so then you should know why they are needed.
Your costumers pay you to do these installs and the same costumers will say they pay you to do these installs so they are done correctly (especially after something has gone wrong)
Again please don’t take it I am being rude , it’s not meant to be

Donnchadh

Why would I want to waste money on an expensive parachute when I can make my own from a bed sheet and some string.

To answer the question we must go back to 1995.

In europe we had a new Machinery Directive which meant that all machines sold in Europe had to conform to certain safety standards.

It was at this point that CE marking was introduced. Safety categories were introduced to cover machine guarding and safety controls.

There were sets of guidlines introduced to enable the safety circuitry to achieve the safety categories required by law.

An individual designing their own safety circuit having first done a risk assessment would find it very difficult if not impossible

to achieve a safety category without using a safety relay.
A safety relay is not just a simple relay, there are many types from very simple to very complex.
The one important thing for you personally is that if there is ever an accident involving something you have designed,

then the focus will be on you to prove you have not been negligent. Using a safety relay, of the correct type for the job,

Installed as per the manufacturers reccommendations, then that focus is taken away from you.

$200 is not a lot to give you that peace of mind.

Last edited:
I was just using 3TK safety modules from Siemens or other brands and I had no problem with them. I always recommended my customers to use them for their emergency guarding. I might have some limited understanding of their durability, reliability or speed but I thought there might be professionals here who are kind enough to supply me with more information

One customer asked me why he is paying more for a job that can be done with one or two relays or cheap contractors? He wants to know about the exact benefits he is getting from his extra 200$
Your profile says "United nations" as your location, which is too ambiguous to know where you actually are. But we can assume based on the fact that you even ASK this question that you are somewhere in North America. The reason is that basically everywhere else in the developed world, there are stringent machinery safety directives that REQUIRE the use of "Safety Relays" or something like them in what are called "evaluated" machine safety systems. So nowhere else in the world would this question even come up, it's compulsory.

But here in North America (USA, Canada and Mexico), these rules are not yet adopted in the same way so here, people CAN in fact get away with a "bedsheet and strings" approach to a "safety" system. There is nothing PREVENTING you from using Safety Relays, but there is also nothing COMPELLING you to either. At least NOT YET. Here in the USA, OSHA is our safety governing body (for the most part) and although they have rules, those rules are nowhere near as specific as they are elsewhere. Here, we say that employers must provide safe working conditions and give some basic guidelines, mostl about guarding, but unless there is an accident, OSHA is pretty much "Laissez-faire" (let them be).

So putting that regulatory (or lack thereof) issue aside, what you "gain" in using Safety Relays from a functional standpoint is this: CONSISTENCY in how something is evaluated for safety, how it reacts to inputs, how it is reset and what level of redundancy is involved in the process. There are BOOKS written about all of this, it's way way too much to list here, but here are a few highlights of issues that are covered.

• What happens if a contact welds on a relay or limit switch?
  • What do you want to happen if a sensor fails?
  • What happens if a contact block falls off of a push button?
  • What if a wire breaks?
  • What needs to happen if someone trips and falls into a dangerous part of a machine operation?
  • Who should have access to dangerous parts of a machine while it is operating and how would they gain access?
  • What if someone pulls out an E-Stop or hits a reset button while a machine guarding device is still removed?
  • Which parts of a machine must ALSO be shut down if someone enters a different area?
  • Etc. etc. etc.
Machine safety relays are used as part of a SYSTEM that is intended to cover as many possible scenarios as would put people in jeopardy AND make sure that everything takes place in the proper sequence of events.

It should be noted that MANY MANY large corporations, especially those that have operations outside of North America, have adopted the IEC safety standards here so that all production systems are consistent wherever you go. So if you build equipment, you should familiarize yourself with the standards and how they apply, because sooner or later it's going to come up.

Last edited:
You are allowed to use normal relays in safety circuits. In fact this is basically what Performance Level a is. The standard even has in the appendix some default values to plug into your calculations, should your datasheet not have MTTF data etc.
So you can either answer
"here is the:
- risk assessment we did
- performance level required
- performance level when we use relays
- performance level when we use safety relays"
Doing the math from the safety standard should also give an "expected number of incidents per year" which might be more meaningful.
Or you could show him the hourly rate of a certified safety engineer, and explain that because you're not charging that much, you are using a set of components that you (know/feel) are up to the safety task.