What is the standard color coding (wires) for a good panel?

European color coding

See attached file for EU standards.
The only weak point I see is the use of blue color as AC neutral and DC 0V which is confusing.

UL-508A Manual section 66.9 gives a color code for internal control wiring. It is as follows:

a) Black - all ungrounded control circuit conductors operating at the supply voltage.
b) Red - ungrounded ac control circuits operating at a voltage less than the supply voltage.
c) Blue - ungrounded dc control circuits.
d) Yellow - ungrounded control circuits or other wiring, such as for cabinet lighting, that remain energized when the main disconnect is in the "off" position.
e) White or natural gray - grounded ac current carrying control circuit conductor regardless of voltage.'
f) White with blue stripe - grounded dc current carrying control circuit conductor.
g) White with yellow stripe - grounded ac control circuit current carrying conductor that remains energized when the main disconnect switch is in the "off" position.

Exception: Leads on assembled components, multiconductor cable, leads used to connect electronic devices, and conductor sizes 20-30 AWG are not required to comply with this requirement.

Tom Jenkins said:
In the US the only regulated colors are:

White or Grey = Neutral or grounded current carrying conductor
Green or Green/Yellow stripe = ground
Any other color = current carrying conductor

Orange = High Leg

It's a popular test question.

jtn said:
UL-508A Manual section 66.9 gives a color code for internal control wiring.
Thanks, JTN ...

I'm glad that I have someone else at my company that has to deal with this on a regular basis. When I searched the PDF of the 508A standard, I couldn't come up with the color requirements (obviously, wrong search terms) but your direction was all I needed to see the error of my assumptions.

... rab

RBergmann said:
Thanks, JTN ...

I'm glad that I have someone else at my company that has to deal with this on a regular basis. When I searched the PDF of the 508A standard, I couldn't come up with the color requirements (obviously, wrong search terms) but your direction was all I needed to see the error of my assumptions.

... rab
It can be tough to find stuff in there if you don't read it regularly. Our shop supervisor was the 508A guru, I know enough to be able to spot discrepancies in the specs so I can call them out in submittals.

Along with EN60204

Black- ac and dc power circuits
Red - ac control circuits
Blue - dc control circuits
Orange - Interlocks fed from an external source.

GEOFRA said:
See attached file for EU standards.
The only weak point I see is the use of blue color as AC neutral and DC 0V which is confusing.

I dont think thats for control panels its for Installation Cables.

The Blue you list is actually the internal core of say the twin and earth cable used to wire house lights and power outlets (13Amp sockets).

The old twin and earth was red and black, the new (to come into line with europe) is Brown and Blue.

The same goes for three phase conductors up a cable, these used to be Red,Yellow,Blue the new european colours for say a Steel Wire Armoured 3 core is Brown, Black & Grey

I dont think thats for control panels its for Installation Cables.

Think you'll find it now affects panel wiring too!! (It was a surprise to me as well! ;) )

We changed over about 9 months ago......

504bloke the color coding is valid for panels too. Here in Cyprus everybody has adopted it including myself. As I told in my previous post the only confusing is the neutral which is blue and the same color is used for ELV. Here we are a little bit flexible and we may use some other color for 24V DC or AC. At least I can use the same color for these as I always connect 0V of both 24v sources (AC,DC)to earth.

The panels we get from overseas(germany) come with +24 being blue.... And -24 being blue with a white stripe....

Kidblue said:
Think you'll find it now affects panel wiring too!! (It was a surprise to me as well! ;) )

We changed over about 9 months ago......

The IEE 16th edition specifically excludes electrical equipment (i.e control panels) so I would go along with 60204.

tom_stalcup said:
The panels we get from overseas(germany) come with +24 being blue.... And -24 being blue with a white stripe....
I believe that is the convention for grounded DC, ungrounded is red and black.

I'm with SimonG & JohnW on this one....

A control panel is an integral part of the machine as a whole and therefore falls under EN60204-1

Fixed wiring and associated distribution equipment such as switchboards, panelboards etc. should follow the new colour codes in BS7671:2001:Amendment No.2:2004 (in other words the latest 16th Ed.)

Of course, this is only IMHO.

Last edited:
UL508a colors

Hello,

UL508a specified:

Black -all ungrounded power circuit conductor regardless of voltage.
White or Gray- or three white stripes grounded AC current carring conductor regardless of voltage.

Red- ungrounded AC control circuits at the voltage less than the supply voltage.

Blue-ungrounded DC control circuits.

Yellow or Orange- ugrounded control circuits that remains energized with disconnect in OFF position.

White with blue stripe- grounded DC current carring conductor.

White with yellow stripe- grounded AC control circuit conductor that remains energized with disconnect in OFF position .