What RA ought to do (hope they are listening).

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

After the problems experienced in this thread, I am beginning to think that RA is missing an obvious product in their portfolio.

Problem is that there are many PLCs out there with DH+, but DH+ adapters for PCs become obsolete as PCs evolve. We need to be able to go online with existing PLCs via DH+, both for the occasional need, and the permanent installation. The current solutions are not satisfactory.

There is the U2DHP, but while it is good for the occasional hook-up for programming, it is not suited for a permanent installation.

You can also setup a 1756 rack with a DHRIO and ENBT modules. But that is far too big, and far too expensive. You wont bring that with you in your laptop kit bag.

What RA ought to make available to us is an ethernet-to-DH+ gateway, in the shape of a reasonably compact DIN-rail unit.

I know that there are 3rd party products, but I am not really convinced.
This one seems to require RSLinx Gateway which will be an expensive addition, and the module is not cheap in itself.
The device mentioned in this thread seems to be not so good.

So, something made by RA, fully compatible with RSLinx, and reasonable priced (!) would find a buyer in my company.

Jesper,

We have been using Pro-Soft products on Allen-Bradley platforms for quite a few years now; they are 100% what they "claim" to be and their documentation/tech support is outstanding.
I have personally been looking for a PKTX replacement and I will probably acquire the EtherNet/IP-to-DH+ Gateway (http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/15932) shortly, for software connectivity only though.
The .pdf documentation does not specifically call for RSLinx Gateway (the Remote Devices via Linx Gateway driver is available for the unlicensed RSLinx Classic copies); I think you might need the Linx Gateway if intending to use the Pro-Soft Gateway as a RIO Scanner, however, for strictly routing EtherNet/IP originating user software applications over DH+ I think any RSLinx Classic Lite will do.
I should be able to verify my assumptions within a couple of weeks and update this thread.

I read the manual, and it says:
"From the list of Available Driver Types:, select Remote Devices via Linx Gateway". I read it as RSLinx Gateway has to be used. Now I see that they mean AS IF RSLinx Gateway is used. So normal RSLinx Classic LITE or OEM on the PC accessing the Prosoft Gateway should work.

Then there is a question about the price. I am afraid to ask.

By the way. I am curious if the Prosoft Gateway will solve the problem mentioned in the other thread.

How does the Prosoft Gateway work when it receives a MSG from a PLC5 ?
Does it know how to forward the MSG to another PC with RSLinx ?
How does RSLinx Gateway work in this respect ?
Has anyone tried to do MSG from a PLC5 to a remote partner via the Prosoft Gateway ?

I read the manual, and it says:
"From the list of Available Driver Types:, select Remote Devices via Linx Gateway". I read it as RSLinx Gateway has to be used. Now I see that they mean AS IF RSLinx Gateway is used. So normal RSLinx Classic LITE or OEM on the PC accessing the Prosoft Gateway should work.

Then there is a question about the price. I am afraid to ask.

My vendor's quote (two weeks old) is $2030.36...:unsure:...it's still better than the USB-to-DH+ adapter or (1756 Chassis/with PS + 1756-ENB(2)T + 1756-DHRIO)...

This worked amazingly well and was simple to implement:

http://www.datatechgateways.com/gw1000-abeip/

I'll have to remember this one.

If I were in the situation, I would probably opt for the USB adapter and find an appropriate 8pin cable with a pig tail for wiring. Connect the 8 pin pig tail to the adapter, toss some shirk tubing over it to prevent it from separating then just wire leads to terminal blocks or such. At least then you stick with AB, and you don't cut up an expensive cable.

If i remember correctly... didn't AB buy out prosoft in the last year or so?

Also, what i'd really love to see is a Ethernet-Ethernet gateway that works like having a 1756 rack with 2 EN2T cards so you can use a L23/24 compactlogix on 2 seperate networks. Or better yet would be if you could use the two network ports on the L24ER on different networks. I hate having to buy an expensive L43 processor or an expensive manage switched when i don't really need it.

Last edited:
...well...not really...they are an Encompass Partner of Allen-Bradley/Rockwell Automation...
... you are probably confusing it with ProsCon...pharmaceutical and biotechnology process and automation control system...