What shall I do with that PLC?

sanderdj

I am a student who has gotten his hands on a Telemecanique TSX17. But now I have the thing, I want to put it to use.
But the killer application has not occurred to me, yet. Most "Home Automation" projects do not really appeal to me, especially since I will be moving to a new (small) apartment in a few months.
Anyone got a good idea what to do with my PLC? Any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks in advance

PS: It doesn’t need to be useful or anything. It’s just that after a course writing PLC code for theoretical machines out of the textbook, I’d like to try to do something with a real PLC. And if possible, in an application that does more than a “Look! If I set this switch, that LED lights up” test board. Which I will build if I don’t think of anything better, btw.

Do you have all the software and cables you need for this thing? If not, tie a rope on on end and leave it in your boat. If you do have everything you need to actually program it, how 'bout a Christmas light controller. You could buy some light strings and write several Christmas words in your apt. window, then use the PLC to turn them on and off (with interposing relays of course). Then you get the satisfaction of completeing a home project and driving the neighbors crazy as well....LOL Paul C.

Home security...

I was thinking along the lines of home security... door switches, windows, for outputs flash the livingroom lights on and off set a siren...

The TSX17 does not have any software compatible with any version of Windows. The last software design was for DOS only.

My vote: Boat anchor or E-Bay.

Last edited:
How about a binary or BCD clock (if you have the I/O)? That covers several basic concepts in a PLC. If you can find the transformer and solid state relay, you could run a pulse into your PLC created by the AC in your appartment. This should keep you closer to on time (at least in the US it would).

Keith

kamenges said:
How about a binary or BCD clock (if you have the I/O)? That covers several basic concepts in a PLC. If you can find the transformer and solid state relay, you could run a pulse into your PLC created by the AC in your appartment. This should keep you closer to on time (at least in the US it would).

Keith

WOW! THAT'S A REALLY GOOD ONE!

How much do you want to spend?

Home automation doesnt have to be boring, use some imagination.

How about an automated drink making machine? A few valves on timers, a stirring device, and viola, you can impress the ladies with your robotic bartender.

Hello sanderdj

This link might help you get along to the installation process.
And this link has just about the technical information regarding PL7 program.
There may be other better information, but this is all I know currently.
As for the projects you can do with a PLC, there are countless of things you could do with it. Just let your imagination run, and you'll come up with something.

All the best and have fun!

regards
Sherine T.