whazup?

As was mentioned Terry's likes to stir the pot a little from time to time. As always Terry has done an excellent job.

As far as posts go, Terry was one of the first to make a 1000 posts and back then just about all the questions pertained to plc's, even if they some were poorly worded or lazy questions from students.

As far as the "tricians is coming, tricians is coming"...I have been here for 3 years or more. I promote this site to any and all that have to "WORK" with plc's...NOT just program them.

Undoubtedly Terry's keepers fell asleep or something but I am sure of one thing, he will be back. I hope alot more because he can give some of the best explanation's on a subject of anyone I have ever known.

Times are a changin...

I am telling all you anti-AB fools that your ill-informed prejudice's simply define you as low level ignorants. Too many of you infesting this forum, which is why it isn't interesting anymore.

Yes I am pro-AB, but not once, not EVER have I slagged off Seimens, Omron, Modicon or any other vendor. They all make competent systems. Comparison between vendors, between product ranges, generations of products, and potential applications is a far more complex exercise than sub-cretinous comments like "AB sucks".

I am continually astonished that so many of you are still using old generation PLC5's and SLC500's as the benchmark to measure AB by. Get with the new millenium guys...the current generation of AB PLC is ControlLogix, or one it's other form factors, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, DriveLogix, or SoftLogix.

Given the rate of technology change in this game, comparing the latest Omroms CQ's or Seimens S7's with a PLC5 is about as fair as comparing this years Audi TT with a Ford Model T.

One of the real value propositions AB deliver to the corporate executive types who make the REAL decisions is that AB protect their customer's installed base by continuing to actively support 1771 based systems, 15, 20 and even 25 years after they were installed. That is why their is SO much of 1771/PLC5 gear about, and why so many forum users ask questions framed in that context.

Given that 1771 was first sold in the mid 70's can ANYONE come up with any other major vendor who still keeps their equivalent products from the same era in their current 2004 catalog???

Another element of the problem is that once upon a time people got TRAINED before they were let loose on a PLC. Nowadays we read of guys being tossed into the deep end of quite substantial systems with nothing more than a grubby dog-eared manual.

Personally I don't mind this forum being used as an FAQ database, although folk would often do well to look at the vendor's own websites as well, as they all contain valuable information. Frankly I see a few folk bleating for someone to hold their hand when they themselves have failed to make the most elementary steps to help themselves.

And saying that AB never answers the phone anymore simply tells me you haven't the wit to dail the right phone number.

Last edited:
To Phillip W.

My modicon quantum can whup your controlgix anytime!
I know cause I've got both. and then some.

It's not about the technology...

Phillip W.

I like AB PLCs, overall. I think they make a decent product.

I also like RSLogix. It's good software, a little cryptic in places, and sure, it could be better at file handling, but overall, it's alot better than some of the genuine **** circulating around these days.

And sometimes, AB makes firmware upgrades to their processors to produce some sort of improvement. A nice feature.

Except that, somehow, these little firmware tweaks end up making the new processors refuse to communicate with the older version of RSLogix I already own.

So then, If I have to replace my crusty old ML1200 with a new one, intending to just dump my program and run, I find I cannot talk to it anymore, without upgrading my $1100 software package.

My gracious, is that ever irritating.

Some folks call this sort of thing "in-built obsolesence". Where I came from, they called it "extortion".

It's not about the technology, chief. It's about the business practices.

TM

Ok Philip,

I'm not bashing AB equipment, I just dont like their distribution and support setup, or the expense involved. For some people it works well, its just not for me.

A little Siemens bashing is in order though:

I recently purchased a Seimens Class 72G soft starter. Try finding any info on that on their website.. But before you do empty your bladder, and get a fresh cup of coffie.. it's going to be a long haul.

Once you get the starter, on page 7 of the manual states: "If you have elected to cycle the fault contactor on each start you must contact technical support for directions on configuring the starter."

Try calling ANY of the support phone numbers provided in the manual. (none of them are working numbers). Then try calling Siemens support listed on the website. After about 6 calls youll get some one who knows someone that may be able to help you. Now I've found three guys that are making every attempt to be helpfull, but they specialize in differant aspects of the starter. Hardware, Software, and Applications. If you ask a diffucult question they will need to refer you to the other guy.

I could go on but I'm too busy working on this issue at the moment.

TM,

This might not apply to the Micrologix line, but I've found with other AB PLC's that when I order, I can specify the firmware/revision level that I want to receive.

The fact that I could buy a new, just-off-the-line, processor at the firmware/revision levels that I specified (which were about 7 years old) impresses me. I did have to agree to a "verbal disclaimer" that: "Yes, I know I'm getting an older style processor that doesn't have the latest, greatest . . . "

I can't think of another vendor that ever allowed me to do that.

Marc

Mike I am not sure how serious you are but if you call Siemens support in Johnson City, TN they will assist you. Thats one reason I liked Siemens, they have a good support group in TN. I can not find my phone list which has the number for Johnson City, TN but I have given it to others here so someone should have it.

I did find this:
http://www3.ad.siemens.de/partner/g...cID=o&cntryID=USA&lang=en&regid=DEF&nosteps=1

FYI Siemens also has a support forum: http://www4.ad.siemens.de/WW/llisap...99&Forum=show&board=AutomationDrives&wbforum=

Last edited:
Mike

I will also give some praise to Siemens Tech support (in Europe though, not the USA). The one time I have had to call on Siemens for assistance they came up trumps for me.

See this thread

As for Siemens drives, we have a contract with them to provide 24hr technical support by phone, if we have a problem with one of our Siemens drives we ring them up and the person who actually setup and commisioned our drives, rings us back and gives advice. That's works for us, especially as the person on the phone knows our setup, as he done it!

Paul

Back
Top Bottom