Which one is easy program between Rslogix500 and Rslogix5000(Controllogix plc)

sinanmoral

I am an Electric Engineer working as a maintenance engineer and manage some technician on the production hall now but in the past, I mostly focus on low and high voltage electric distribution system, therefore, my knowledge is limited over Plc system but I can do dowland or upload, some basic edit, watching program e.t.c

Now I am looking at rslogix500(slc 500) due to new my maintenance job and it is so understandable, it seems easy to learn.at the same time, I am looking at Rslogix5000 and studio 5000 that seems so complex and diffucult.

My plan to improve my knowledge is first look at rslogix500.

Am I right? what is your recommendation?

Note: All machine in the plant uses Ab plc (Plc5,Slc500,controllogix, powerflex ac driver,kinetix servo driver but mostly slc500 about 60 pcs)
Also except ladder, there is no other program language.

If you are new into PLC's I would go with RSLogix/Studio5000

Has more features, newer equipment, and more than ladder logic programming.

The reason a lot of people start with RSL500 is because they can be found cheap on eBay and they are OK to work only with ladder logic.

Thank you for the quick reply but no need to learn any other language, Ladder is enough because All my machine in the plant is written by ladder.

I would still go for 5000 over 500

User Defined Data Types
Add-On Instructions
Multi-dimensional arrays
Periodic tasks
Event called tasks
Comments are stored in the PLC
Ethernet control of various devices
DeviceNET interface
Larger memory capacity

And that's a short, quick list

Now I am looking at rslogix500(slc 500) due to new my maintenance job and it is so understandable, it seems easy to learn.at the same time, I am looking at Rslogix5000 and studio 5000 that seems so complex and diffucult.

I think you hit it on the head, IMHO l think you are better to start with RS500 then move to RS5000.
Of course Aabeck is correct in stating the advantages of RS5000 but if you have the time and software l would start at 500 then move onto 5000, l believe it would be easier then going the other way, but in saying that l started with 500 then to 5000.
It would be interesting to hear from someone that has started with 5000 going to 500.
They will of course say 500 was easy to understand after 5000 (which will be true), but you have to spend so much more time learning 5000 over 500

Last edited:
I would stay with the Logix 500 to start that's what you have the most of
question are planning on buying the software or dos you company already have all the software you need. I see 3 different software packages that you
Logix 5 , Logix 500 and Logix 5000 if you have all those AB processors then you may also need panel view and Factory Talk View
once you learn the Logix 500 it's not a big leap to Logix 5000 the big thing when starting out is to learn to think logic then you can work with most all the PLC's

500 is good. I see no need to replace it, even though rockwell is pushing people off it and to the micro 800 line (I'm not impressed with the software).

5000 can be made to work like 500. You have to put all of the I/O into tags that have I and O numbers (like I50 or Q20, etc) as the first line of programming. If you use those tags as the I/O points, it will work in a synchronous manner like 500.

I have software and emulation program and I am looking for application examples in order to practice them from basic ones to advanced, So could you please share with me?

I have software and emulation program and I am looking for application examples in order to practice them from basic ones to advanced, So could you please share with me?

At the top of the forum page, under the PLCS.net logo there is a DOWNLOADS link to a lot of good examples posted by members here on how they did a few things, broken into platforms. The link is yellow letters and not in a colored box or underlined so it isn't real obvious or noticeable.

Or try THIS to get there

I typically recommend most of my colleagues to start with RSLogix 500 before moving into 5000. 500 is still widely used, is much simpler from a structure standpoint, yet is much less forgiving. You'll learn plenty of lessons by faulting out RSLogix 500 controllers that you won't see in 5000.

All the best,
Vlad