Which PLC Siemen or Schneider Electric

Steve W

I have used Mitsubishi and Panansonic. But, my distributors for both have really made it hard to buy from them anymore.

Besides, I won't buy another Panansonic PLC unless I absolutely have to. I have had awful luck with them.

So my choices left are Siemens and Schneider Electric. I don't build large elaborate equipment, just simple automation with the occasional servo or stepper motor here or there.

If there is already a good thread that discusses this please forward me the link and feel free to delete this one

Thanks, Steve

I have two electronics distributors that I really trust for support. One sells Schneider and the other sells Siemens.

Unfortunately, I don't program every day so there are times when I really need support and I prefer to rely on my distributors instead of the manufacturers tech support.

there are times when I really need support and I prefer to rely on my distributors instead of the manufacturers tech support.

Hello Steve;
This is a statement that reassures a lot of members here. We have been pushing this very idea for years now to users comparing PLC manufacturers. Strong local support can be a guarantee of success for any small business.

I personnally have not worked often with Schneider PLCs, mostly interfacing with their products, but I have heard nothing wrong about them. I hope others more familiar with them will put in their 2 cents' worth.
I mostly work with Siemens PLCs, and I have here a link to Siemens' A&D Mall, presenting the different families of Simatic S7 controllers.
https://www.automation.siemens.com/...R/EN/SIMATIC-S7-CONTROLLER/Pages/Default.aspx
You give a vey skimpy description of your requirements, but for small machines, simple automation, repetetive programs and occasional servo/stepper applications, I would consider the new S7-1200 line of CPUs. The cost of the hardware is relatively low, which is an appreciable thing these days. The programming software includes the HMI application programming, so everything can be tied up in a simple bundle. Look them up in the link above, and talk to your local rep.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

OF the two I personally prefer Schneider. I find their factory support is better and the new Unity software is much easier to use. I think prcing is on a par between the two, with a possible slight edge to Schneider.

Thanks everyone for your responses, keep them coming

@Daniel, What about the S7-200. I more often use the "shoebox" style than the back plane.

I very rarely go above 30 I/O

Hello Steve;
The S7-200 shoebox is being replaced by the S7-1200 shoebox. The S7-1200 has the same footprint for the CPU as the S7-200, integrated I/Os (up to 24 IN/16 out digital), integrated Profinet port for TCP/IP connectivity if you want it...
The S7-200 still is a very good machine, durable, reliable. I've done a couple of projects with it and have had little complaints, except memory size for some applications.
The only thing is that you mention motor control, and it does it through PWM signals or through USS protocol (a serial RS-485 control to Siemens drives). The S7-1200 has servo/stepper controller cards if you have more precise requirements.

If interested, ask your local rep to show you both, so you can compare. Remember that the programming software is different on both: the "old" S7-200 uses MicroWin 4.0, the "new" S7-1200 uses Step 7 Basic v. 10. That will make a difference, and I do not believe you can convert from one to the other at this time.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

I'm not sure abound Schneider but in my area, AB is the PLC of choice. However it seems Siemens is making a big effort to become the new choice. I went to a 3 hour sales demonstration and was given a likely copy of S7-1200 software. From the sales pitch, the S7-1200 is somewhat still in development but has some nice features for small applications and also has the HMI software bundled into the same PLC software. Talk with your distributor, they also told us about a starter package which came with software, PLC, cables, and a 6" HMI for around $800 if I am not mistaken.