Who is at fault?

All manufacture manuals I have read, always say to lock out the machine before doing any maintenance or adjustments. In the USA, OSHA has very serious consequences for a company that does not properly train their employees in lock out tag out. I always lock out equipment and release stored energy. I am sorry someone got hurt, but it is the responsibility of the individual who is working on the equipment to make sure they do not get hurt. Don’t ever let any supervisor or manager tell you to do something unsafe (politely let them know you want to be safe about it) because we are going to get hurt or killed if we take chances. I have never been in trouble for fallowing proper safety procedures. The company I work for will fire an employee if they get caught working on equipment without locking it out.

I would also like to add that when training everyone needs it. P{roduction and management.

On my first plant job i had a new plant manager chew me out for working in an electrical panel and it not locked out.

I was troubleshooting a problem with some of the controls in this relay cabinet. It was all old relay logic about 150 or more. It took a half hour to explain to him and make him understand why i could not troubleshoot an electrical controls problem with the power off and the cabinet locked out. Replacing components yes but troubleshooting no.

We had a mechanic open the control panel, bypassing the interlock, on a PMC-1300 cup machine. He was "checking something" and inadvertantly put his elbow on the braking resistor bank in the RH panel. Oops / ouch.
The result was to fit a perspex cover preventing access to the two sections of panel...ie. open the panel door then remove perspex cover prior to access to the components. Repeated on 8 other PMCs.

If he hadn't been in there...

While I understand that it is not "PC" these days, I still frequently make the point that electrical troubleshooting is done with power on and mechanical troubleshooting done with the power off.

When they don't want me to work, I tell them to call a mechanic.

Silva.Fox

The braking resistor should have at least had the expanded metal type guarding around it to preven this.

Why would you put an open type brake resistor in a control cabinet anyways they generate heat and need to be located on top or side of the cabinet (still with guarding in place)so they can shed heat to ambiant air i hope there were not electronics that should be cooled inside that panel.

The only type of brake resistor that should be located inside the control panel are the total enclosed heat sink type and then in rare form (1 to 5 small drives )

Any control panels that are up to date with most standards and code should be touch safe and have guarding on all terminals.

At the end of the day to troubleshoot 90% of electrical problems the power has to be on end of story.

1. There should be a 'positive dump valve' to release the
residual air built up - before working on the machine. (even if the air is locked-out).

2. MCR utilized if not one already.
3. Better/more safty training.

My answer - The blame is not totally upon the mechanic
but upon the mechanic and the design of the machine.

K-

I recently had an event that I would like to ask the experts on this site how they view it and how they think the outcome should be.

A machine that was designed overseas has electrical and pneumatic controls. It is clearly labeled with all the safety warning. There is also a keylock to override some of the safety devices.

Issue: Mechanic working on machine. Has to make an adjustment to a set of shears. Opens the doors but has the key switch enabled. Pushed estop and proceeds to make adjustments. A wrench falls on a sensors activating it. The stored up residual pneumatic pressure caused the shears to active causing the mechanic to require 23 stitches in his hand. Lukily did not loose anything.

Manufacturer of machine noted that during the routine in question the outputs were not locked out on the PLC. All other times they were but not this time. They send in a revised program.

The safety committee put all the blame on the mechanic. Stating the following: Mechanic did not have machine properly locked out, mechanic had safety key system enabled, mechanic did not remove all stored energy.

While I do see the companies point I dont think it fair to place all the blame on the mechanic. I beleive the mfg should also have been mentioned in the report being as they did not have the outputs locked out during that step in the process.

So in a case like this where do you draw the lines of whose at fault and what to report?

Just curious. Thanks and have a great and prosperous new year.

Granted that we're all responsible for our own safety, and perhaps LO/TO and removing stored energy could have been done and the adjustments still made. The mechanic, unfortunately, will always bear the brunt of the responsibiltity for his/her own safety.

Having said that... as an automation engineer and PLC programmer, I am very distressed that:

- A machine that was E-Stopped did not, itself, dump its air system and pneumatic energy when the E-Stop was activated;

- A machine that was E-Stopped did not remove power from actuator control circuits (i.e., the pneumatic solenoids)

- A machine that was E-Stopped was executing logic - A wrench falls on a sensors activating it ... caused the shears to active - rather than in a logical stopped or logical safe state waiting for the E-Stop to be removed and the safety relays to be reset.

True, under some circumstances not all of that can be done. But together, those three things make me think that the machine was very poorly designed and programmed from a controls standpoint.

The fact that the E-Stop doesn't function in any and all circumstances is remarkable, to say the least. Using a key switch to override guarding for machine setup, testing or maintenance is sometimes necessary. (The individuals with the key are supposed to be qualified and trained on that equipment for the work they're performing, but that's another area.) But the fact that the E-Stop failed to prevent machine operation, on so many levels, is frightening.

There's not much defense against this other than to write contracts requiring vendors to meet NFPA 70 and NFPA 79, and then performing a safety review of the machine at delivery regardless. If it was an "off the shelf" type machine rather than custom (I really hope it was not) then the safety review is even more essential.

So yeah, I would have tagged the mechanic and his/her training. However, from there I would have tagged whoever bought the equipment; whoever installed and commissioned the equipment; and the equipment vendor, who would certainly not be at the top of the list for future procurements.