will I run into any issues converting older rsview32 to newer version rsview32?

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
I think the older version is 3.2 and the newer version 4.2. Just wondering if anyone else has run into any problems doing this. The database seems to have imported into the newer version with no issues but you can never be too sure, and since I wont be able to try it out on the new system for a while just wanted to try and get a heads up on this. Im new to rsview32, and still have alot of learning to do.

It should be ok and as long as you have a good backup of the older version there really isn't anything to worry about.

The current version is 7.40 (CPR 9)

diat150 said:
will I run into any issues converting older rsview32 to newer version rsview32?

YES

Go to ab.com knowledgebase and search for RSView32 technotes.

There are many of them and certainly a few may apply to your upgrade.

Years ago, I had to maintain a system provided by an OEM that had alarm issues. Every few weeks, the alarms would quit appearing and there were no errors to be found. Restarting hte app usually fixed it, sometimes we had to reboot the PC. I had tried to apply fixes provided by AB with the blessing of the OEM.

Finally after exhausting tech support ideas from rockwell, I ended up upgrading it (at the recommendation of the OEM) from 6.3 to 7.0 and that process went very smoothly.

6 hours later I get a call that the main width entries were reverting back ot old values "every other changeover". This was a basic system with no VBA or activeX or anything out of the ordinary, so I did not believe them until I tried it myself.

Sure enough, I could change the width, make at least one cut, then navigate to the data entry screen, exit it without making changes and then go back and it had reverted to the value from before my 1st change.

After an hour or two of headscratching, I reverted back to the old software (bay mounted swappable hard drive). As far as I know it is still running 6.3, and they just reboot once every month or whenever the alarm problem arises, since none of the patches fixed our particular problem.

RSView32 works great until you mess with it.

JMHOO.
Paul

Last edited: