WinCC Flexible Runtime without keyboard

Sparkz said:
I think I have one lying around here somewhere... No harm in trying it!

Alternatively migrate the project to a non-keyboard TP .

Or you could smash a keyboard to bits , get the USB interface out of it , cut a hole with a gas cutter into the PC , and arc weld the interface to the motherboard -
Talk about finding a convoluted solution to what should be an easy problem to solve !

10BaseT. said:
Alternatively migrate the project to a non-keyboard TP .
So I should be able to compile for instance a TP270 project and get a PC runtime application?

10BaseT. said:
Or you could smash a keyboard to bits , get the USB interface out of it , cut a hole with a gas cutter into the PC , and arc weld the interface to the motherboard -
Talk about finding a convoluted solution to what should be an easy problem to solve !
LOL - This just might work: Several spare keyboards lying around, but the kbd/mouse USB splitter (as suggested by Charles) seems to be misplaced (as always!!!).

You could always do the easy thing and try and fix what appears to be a straightforward problem without using bubblegum and string !
I pity some poor sod in the future trying to faultfind a 6 year old installation that won't run because Lilly the Tea Lady knocked a bit of plastic out of the USB port .

So I should be able to compile for instance a TP270 project and get a PC runtime application?

YES , but NO (you can migrate any CE device or application with varying degrees of success , but you don't have a 270 do you ? ), right click on the device in the project , and guess what ? click exchange device (I can't be bothered to look for the exact term if you can't either ! ) next "guess what?" is choose a device who's screen resolution most closely matches or better still equals you 10" touch panel - the next is quite easy - just make sure you chose a device that is touch only - I reckon you stand a 50% chance of it working , unless of course you can find a bit of plastic to shove in your USB port ! .

To add to 10baseT's suggestion.
There are a number of PC based touch panels, like the Simatic Panel PC 577 15" Touch (just one out of many). They are in the list of devices under "Panel PC".
Not sure that it will fix your problem, but it is worth a try.

edit:
Been thinking a bit more about it.
I dont think that the problem will be fixed by changing the device (I can be wrong of course).
I think so because from other threads I have learned that the keyboard is a part of Windows, and the runtime gets keyboard info from windows. For example Siemens has the problem that there is no asian characters available on the TPs onscreen keyboard, when the CE installation is not one with asian characters (if the keyboard driver was part of the Siemens package this would not be a problem).
I conclude from the above that you must have a driver that forces Windows to use the touch in stead of the normal keyboard.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys,

I'll have a go with migrating the project later today... Who knows, if I find a TP with a matching screen resolution (800x600), it just might work.

Now if migrating doesn't work out, I found an ancient Siemens keyboard with a relatively small (4,5x9,0cm) PS/2 driver PCB that I unhooked from the kbd and could mount directly in the PC. So now WinCC no longer makes a fuzz about the missing keyboard!

I know it's a rather silly solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place, but at least I would get the compact setup I want. It would sure beat the kbd connect/disconnect routine everytime the PC had to be restarted for whatever reason...

If you add 'osk.exe' (On Screen Keyboard) to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\System registry then the onscreen keyboard runs when users are prompted to logon as XP starts. This should do for letting windows knows there is a keyboard there?