WinCC Flexible Runtime Logs - stop by itself?

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

I have a Wincc Flexible 2008 Runtime system with archives connected to a s7-1200. This system logs "on change" and this is controlled by the s7-1200 every minute. It saves the logs on a network drive. My customer just called me and said that it had stopped logging 5 days ago. He just stopped the RT and started it again and the logs continued.

Have anyone had the same problem?

If the RT have problems logging a value (maybe the network drive was down), how does it handle it?
Would it just try again next minute and skip the last value and continue to do so until it succeed?
Does it have a memory where it keep the old log values and write them all?
Or does it stop the logging?
Maybe some buffer got overloaded or something and it all just froze?

I really don't have that deep understanding how the logging works inside the RT.

/Tim

When the logging stopped, was it possible to reach the network drive from the WinCC Flexible PC ?

Anyway, if the problem persist I suggest to log to the local PC and then copy the logfile(s) at intervals to the network drive.

I don't know, since the customer saw this 5 days later and then the drive was accessable (since it started to log again after restart)

This is what I did in the first place but the customer wanted a network drive, I don't know why but I will suggest we switch back to logging to the local computer and access it from there instead. To me that seems much safer.

Thanks for the reply

They have identified the problem, and the whole network goes down sometimes. This last for some seconds but after the network is restarted the WinCC doesn't start to log again. I will go down there today and change the logging to the local drive. I find it strange though that a short downtime in the network should cause the RT to stop log.

Pulling the network cord and plugging it back in automatically restarts logging on network drives at least with Flexible 2008 SP3 Upd 5RT.

Maybe an ugly fix if there is problems is to add OpenAllLogs and/or Start logging in the Scheduler with one minute interval to force restart. Does not seem like the cleanest way but it might work.

From the help that was not the answer that you would except from Siemens. I tried again and i did not even get a system message when i pulled the cord not the reaction i was expecting.

Filing the logs on the network drive
Use the system function "CloseAllLogs" to close all logs before you disconnect the HMI device from the network.
Exit runtime if you encounter an unexpected network failure.

The logs will be available once again after restart of runtime.

Thanks alot, I told my customer that logging to a network drive isn't recommended. He insisted that this high-end program should be able to do it satisfying. However I insisted and we are now back to logging to the local drive, wich I think will work as expected.

From the help that was not the answer that you would except from Siemens. I tried again and i did not even get a system message when i pulled the cord not the reaction i was expecting.

Filing the logs on the network drive
Use the system function "CloseAllLogs" to close all logs before you disconnect the HMI device from the network.
Exit runtime if you encounter an unexpected network failure.

The logs will be available once again after restart of runtime.

Could you guide me to where you find this information?