Wireless HMI Pendant

Thanks for the feedback. I suggested the tablet route to the customer, and he said no thanks. He wants something more rugged, and considering the plant he's probably right.

The pendant is only going to be used for setup. I could just use a standard crane pendant. The operator would select the axis on the fixed HMI, walk over to the axis and use the pendant to put it at the right spot, then go back to the HMI and select the next axis. I could even use another pendant button to increment. The only reason I wanted an HMI was to make it easier to select an axis, and give feedback as to which axis is selected.

How many axis?
could you use a rotating selector or thumbwheel for the axis selection on the pendant then add the movement pushbuttons?

Could you mount a small marquee board that displays the info they need to read where they can see it? That way you could have an industrial quality device in their hands and the more delicate part mounted out of reach and away from damage.

22 axes, so a thumbwheel isn't really an option. The marquee is an interesting idea.

I'll be putting several options in the proposal, including the (extremely expensive) mobile HMI from Siemens. My bet is he'll go with the wireless crane pendant, since it's rugged and cost effective.

Thanks everybody!