Wireless remote I/O for budget PLC

OzRoo

Hi,
I have a compact battery powered home robot mower for fun project and am looking at basically only putting a remote I/O unit in the battery powered robot bit and have it controlled from a PLC in a bigger box. It's a small yard and Roomba sized mower and going to really crawl slowly with basic bump logic so doesn't need encoders or high speed counters etc.

At this stage just wanting around 12-20 I/O (depending on how fancy I do the lighting) working on WiFi or something similar range. I have a Delta DVP with a couple of extra I/O cards and reasonable industrial programming experience with them. Just wanting a pair of basic magic air talking boxes, one for each end to send digital I/O and maybe analogue options for later. Something neater than using 8 channel garage remote relays :)

But I'm open to something else cheap if simple and small like a baby PLC with integrated WiFi in the robot and make the remote dumb or perhaps hook it into my homes Zigbee stuff.