Wireless Remote & Receiver for PLC

cire3621

Has anyone ever incorporated the use of a wireless remote and receiver such as a garage door opener/gate opener type system with a remote and a receiver with a PLC? I am trying to track down a remote & receiver to use with a PLC but am not sure what would be suitable for the application.

Look up Harmony XB5. Go to Allied Electric, for example, and search for this. We have used this before. It's kind of clunky, but does work. Just keep in mind that this shouldn't be used for anything safety related, and does not work for jog functions. Meaning, the signal is just a pulse, not maintained. Hope this helps.

So the receiver can be wired into a PLC for the smart brand? Does it communicate via rs232c or what? We have an existing plc out in the field Oil and Gas industry and were going to need a wireless remote and receiver to integrate in to current system. Ive had success with rf card readers and magswiper readers but never dealt with wireless remote and receiver communicating with a PLC.

Actually these just have physical outputs you wire in right?

Last edited:
Ok I understand how this is working...but I was thinking of something more a long the lines of a cheap garage door type system. We just need to trigger inputs on the PLC and it can do all of the logic for us. These look more like the $1400 wireless hoist controllers we put on our trucks made by hectronic. Just need when you push a button this output kicks in, or other button this one does...

I've used these before to trigger a PLC to flash some indicator lights:

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.397/.f

They require a little time with the soldering iron since they are kits, but are amazing reliable, especially considering their price. Don't use them for ANYTHING safety related, though. Buy an extra keyfob or two... they get lost. The receiver can learn up to 15 transmitters, so they all work, but just one at a time.

The antenna in the receiver is nothing more than a piece of wire trimmed to an exact length, so I'd recommend placing the receiver board in a PLASTIC enclosure on top of your (metal) cabinet. I'm not sure how the receiver would react to being connected to a whip antenna with a bit of coax; you'd have to experiment with that a bit.

-rpoet

I have used these in a number of applications
http://www.elsema.com/
really good
I used the 433 mhz range in a bowling alley to reset lanes rerack pins etc.
works exceptionally well.
Also fitted a second unit
these were both 8 channel controllers
and two 8 Channel transmitters
good price also

Iant...What specific transmitter and receiver did you use? I was thinking of maybe the keyring type for this app...but what do you have success with as far as the specific transmitter and receiver if you dont mind me asking?

Iant...What specific transmitter and receiver did you use? I was thinking of maybe the keyring type for this app...but what do you have success with as far as the specific transmitter and receiver if you dont mind me asking?

I used the rectangular box type in that app.
with numbers 1 thru 8 on the lable plate

they aslo have analogue.
I recomend you contact them

the keyring is also ok up to 4 Channel. and in the 433 mhz
This company will manufacture the escutcheon to what ever you want
If you want to do more than one.

I don't personally like the 27 Mhz range - too close to the old toy frequencies.

I recomend you contact them or click on the Blue redirect buttons

all top stuff

EDIT _ http://www.elsema.com/glr4330812-24R.htm - actual unit used x 2 next to eachother
Antenna - is two bits of wire out of a 5mm hole in the panel - no interferance
24Vdc version

Last edited:
the other APP
was fitted to a truck that blows in roof insulation
this uses a two button box - we chose against the keyring in this case
one turns on the muncher the other turns on the blower
AND we have interlocked it so one cant start with out the other