Wonderware ABCIP Update Interval - Servo data

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
What's the fastest practical Update Interval you've had success with on the ABCIP driver communicating to L7x series Control Logix?

Have an existing customer base that's using redundant remote servers running ABCIP, servicing likely around 20K tags across a dozen or so HMI's. Most of the poll rates for these tags are set to prime variations of 1000ms rates.

I have to add about 30 analog tags that are recording Torque, Position Error and Commanded Position for 8 Kinetix 5700 axes. This is a cross platform application (FT, WW, Ignition), but this hmi version is for WW 2014. The actual moves by the servos are a basic pulse train with a 40ms rise/fall and a 1500ms dwell. Studio's trend has no problem tracking the move profiles for the above tags internally, but I'm almost certain WW's base logging isn't going to be able to capture the data that rapidly. I thought about using code to fill a FIFO for each of the moves data, but synching that to the HMI would be a mess.

Probably trying to cram a square peg into a round hole, but historian isn't an option here, only base InTouch WW.

Any suggestions? The goal is to compare the 8 move profiles (position, error and torque) to see if any particular axis is wearing or mechanically out of spec. The move profile is a few thousandths off a hard stop, and is driven by pulley/polybelt, so if the tension isn't set right, the bearings are worn, or the belt windup becomes a problem (stretch), I can see it on the torque and position error curve when it smacks the physical stop on overtravel. It becomes a faint audible tapping, but in a facility operating at 100db, noone will hear it in production, but can see it on a graph.

The other option I thought of is just capture min/max torque and error DURING the move only and trend those values. At least those max values would update once every 1500ms or so and could be sampled with a 750ms update interval.

Last edited: