Wonderware Inbatch - general question

Is Inbatch basically programmed similar to a PLC, it then reads/writes to a dumbed down PLC, which then performs the outputs?

I'm having trouble understanding - why not just use a PLC + HMI? I hear Inbatch is easier to modify, has compliant history keeping, is there any other reason?

Apologies if it is an ignorant first question - I have experience in RSLogix500, 5000, Step 7, and some TIA portal. To me the HMI is always just that, an interface and historian.

I'm under the impression Inbatch is an HMI that is taking some of the PLCs job...

No, InBatch is not an HMI. It has a GUI, but not configurable like SCADA/HMI. It's not programmed like a PLC, the PLC and InBatch have to align. So the PLC needs code, InBatch needs to communicate with that code via tags (similar to SCADA). InBatch and the PLC must align with the processes or 'phases' that are to be controlled. If a phase called "Liquid Addition" exists in the PLC, InBatch must have a phase configured to control the PLC phase. InBatch must command the PLC phase to Start/Stop/Hold/Abort. It must read the state of the PLC phase to understand if the phase is running/holding/aborting/complete. InBatch must send the recipe setpoints for each phase to the corresponding phase in the PLC.

InBatch is the Foreman and the PLC is the worker.

InBatch tells a PLC what processes to run, what parameters to run them against and when to run them. It also collects a bunch of data, handles PROCEDURAL recipes, allowing the end user, at runtime to create recipes that change not only setpoints, but the actual order of the PROCESS. The end user can build the recipe any way they wish (within physical equipment constraints). Can manage the raw materials, has change management features and more...

You can't accomplish all of this in a traditional SCADA system unless you're building something completely custom. I've come pretty close to doing so, but it's very difficult to allow users at runtime to create complex recipe procedures with just a SCADA/HMI and a PLC. And do so in a manner that is fluid and easy to follow (even if InBatch itself feels dated).

InBatch has it's quirks, and unless you need to allow users to manage procedural recipes at runtime, you may not require it. I'm a big fan of using batch style programming for any process, but doesn't mean I have to use InBatch. I can use SCADA/PLC to control much of the logic, however I can really only get away with that on a fixed, linear process. Or one with very basic procedural options.

For example, if I have a batch system that was mechanically designed to only allow the user to create 1 type of cookie, no need for a system like InBatch. The process sequence to make a single type of cookie is pretty simple and can be accomplished with 'fixed' process logic. If I have a batch system that was mechanically designed to allow the user to create ANY type of cookie they can imagine (multiple automatic recipe ingredients available, limitless options with manual additions, have heating/cooling, mixing equipment). Well, you can't possibly account for all the combinations they could come up with unless you build a very complex one-off system using SCADA. InBatch puts the process sequence into the hands of the recipe creator.

Batch systems like InBatch align with ISA-88, and using it in conjunction with PLC ISA-88 tools such as Phase Manager in a ControlLogix PAC, well you have a very good system.

Ultimately, InBatch can be overkill depending on your actual process and what the mechanical equipment is actually capable of. Sometimes you need procedural recipe control and it's great at that.

Last edited:
Looks like working with water technologies (RO, Mixed bed, etc.); Inbatch isn't needed for these operation chains. I do sometimes have to incorporate fixed "modes" select-able on an HMI, that change valves and other set-points to run the system differently - like you said I can get away with it since there is a finite number of modes.

Thanks the for the help
-Matt

Looks like working with water technologies (RO, Mixed bed, etc.); Inbatch isn't needed for these operation chains. I do sometimes have to incorporate fixed "modes" select-able on an HMI, that change valves and other set-points to run the system differently - like you said I can get away with it since there is a finite number of modes.

Thanks the for the help
-Matt

IMHO, i never believed in Batch , whether Rockwell , WonderWare, or ______.
Violates the basic concept of good controls design, a less reliable device ( PC running Batch ) should not control a more reliable device ( PLC )

Violates the basic concept of good controls design, a less reliable device ( PC running Batch ) should not control a more reliable device ( PLC )

PLC controls everything at the device level, Batch just tells the PLC in what order to do what. Not much different than an operator sending start/stop commands from an HMI. Really isn't any reliability issue.

What is your solution to my example?

If I have a batch system that was mechanically designed to allow the user to create ANY type of cookie they can imagine (multiple automatic recipe ingredients available, limitless options with manual additions, have heating/cooling, mixing equipment).

How would you provide them runtime procedural recipe control, recipe management and recipe version control (basic batch system feature set)?