CompactLogix L33ER, IP address issue

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
This is my first time with the new L33ER.
The problem I have is that I cannot make the PLC keep the address I manually assigned, after I power cycle it. I tried setting it from RSLogix 5000 and from RSLinx.
In RSLOGIX, for example, I select "Manually configure IP settings".
I assign the IP address while I'm online with the PLC, and the NS light changes to solid green or flashing green, and the communications work. But, when I power cycle the PLC, the NS led is solid red and the IP address is back to 0.0.0.0.
Probably there's a easy fix for it. I hope.

Thank you!

Make sure you un-check the "Use DHCP" button; what you're describing is completely consistent with the DHCP/BOOTP still being selected.

I usually just do the configuration of the Ethernet module/port in RSLinx Classic, so I'm not totally sure how it appears inside RSLogix 5000.

EDIT: I re-read your question and saw the note about the solid red NS LED. That's a dead giveaway that you've got a duplicate IP on the network.

Reconfigure over USB and keep the controller unplugged from Ethernet, then plug it in and I'll bet it does the same thing.

Another EDIT: You don't have both ports plugged into the same Ethernet switch, do you ? Those are "ring ports" and have only one IP address.

Thank you for your comments!

Make sure you un-check the "Use DHCP" button; what you're describing is completely consistent with the DHCP/BOOTP still being selected.
I'm sure it's un-checked.

EDIT: I re-read your question and saw the note about the solid red NS LED. That's a dead giveaway that you've got a duplicate IP on the network.
It's possible, because they gave me a connection to their network. Not very usual, I know.

Reconfigure over USB and keep the controller unplugged from Ethernet, then plug it in and I'll bet it does the same thing.
It does not.

Another EDIT: You don't have both ports plugged into the same Ethernet switch, do you ? Those are "ring ports" and have only one IP address.
No, I don't.

Note: I tried to power cycle the PLC whit their network cable disconnected from my switch. Same thing happened: NS red light.

Last edited:
There go my standard suggestions, then.

Check the IP address, the Subnet Mask, and the Default Gateway all together.

I think if you've got a Subnet Mask that makes the IP Address and Default Gateway not be on the same Subnet, that the controller will reject that configuration on powerup and go back to DHCP.

If the controller got its configuration from DHCP in the first place.... hmm. I don't know of a DHCP Server that will give an invalid configuration to a client, but there's always a first time.

I'm really puzzled and frustrated.
I tried several things, without success. Now, when I try to configure the IP address from inside RSLinx, I set it as "Static" and I hit "Apply", and the changes are applied. However, when I open the same window again to check if the IP address is static, the configuration is back to Dynamic, BOOTP. There's "somebody" changing back this setting!
Please, I need some guidance. This is my first L33ER commissioning. Never had this problem with the other CompactLogix models.
My network consists in:
Red Lion G310 HMI (192.168.1.20), CompactLogix L33ER (192.168.1.11), 9300 RADES modem, used as a switch (192.168.1.1).
HMI and PLC:
Network Mask: 255.255.255.0,
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Thank you!

I wish I had other suggestions. I've only used a couple of the "next generation" CompactLogix, both 1769-L18ER controllers, and they didn't give me any trouble with configuring the Ethernet port.

A related note though, about something that tripped me up the first time I used a RADES dialup switch: the switch will take up two IP addresses. It uses the address you configure, and the "address +1" is what it assigns to the dial-in user. So don't configure anything else on the network for 192.168.1.2.

Do you have any logic in the controller that writes to the Ethernet port object, maybe ?

Give RA Tech Support a shot at this; it's a fairly new model of controller and they have used more than I have.

Just a comment.. might not be useful as many professionals already given good advise.. but maybe no harm trying..

I had problem with the commissioning of a compact logix also.. it's 1769-L35E. Run bootp server and once a while the request came up. tried to set IP but got error message like unable to set configuration etc..

So, I use a cross Ethernet cable and connect directly to the compactlogix, and test again. This time, the bootp request is more steady and frequent. Then I set the IP, and disable the bootp/dhcp, and this settles the PLC issue.

After that, still direction connection, run RSlinx as per normal to download program etc.. ensure everything is working fine. If no issues, then change the physical connection back to normal configuration. If got issues later.. it is apparent that the root cause is something related to the external/overall network.

So, in summary, use cross Ethernet cable, connect direct to the PLC, use BOOTP server to set the IP, and disable the bootp/dhcp using the BOOTP server from RA.

Just a comment.. might not be useful as many professionals already given good advise.. but maybe no harm trying..

So, in summary, use cross Ethernet cable, connect direct to the PLC, use BOOTP server to set the IP, and disable the bootp/dhcp using the BOOTP server from RA.

I really appreciate your comment. It won't hurt trying.

I've been trying to find an explanation to it. Maybe the SD card is the answer. But a question first: is it required to use the SD card to run a L33ER correctly?
OK, I found this document:http://support.rockwellautomation.com/controlflash/FirmwareFiles/1769-RN020A-EN-P.pdf

And look at this:
Table 2 - Known Anomalies with Firmware Revision 20.011
The controller’s Ethernet port settings, for example, the IP address or Subnet Mask, are always loaded from the SD card regardless of the Load Image parameter configuration on the Nonvolatile Memory Load/Store dialog box.

My SD card has not been burned, it's not even enabled. This could be the reason for my IP issues.
Tomorrow I will try it.

My SD card has not been burned, it's not even enabled. This could be the reason for my IP issues.
Tomorrow I will try it.

This is weird. Even though my SD card is unlocked, when I access the "Nonvolatile Memory" tab, the "Load/Store" is dimmed...
Any thoughts?

Normally EEPROMs and such require the processor to not be executing the program before you can write it to the memory. This is a new CompactLogix model which I haven't used yet. In other AB PLCs the processor had to be in program mode in order to write to it.

Normally EEPROMs and such require the processor to not be executing the program before you can write it to the memory. This is a new CompactLogix model which I haven't used yet. In other AB PLCs the processor had to be in program mode in order to write to it.
I read the manual again and it says Remote Program, you are right. I'm in Remote Run now...