PanelBuilder32 to Factorytalk View ME - Bit Arrays

jyvang

I have a Multi-state indicators object in PB32 that uses bit arrays as their triggers. In my code I'm moving bits using the Bit Field Distribute block to move bits from a larger word into the bit arrays that are triggering my multi-state indicators. After converting my application from PB32 to FactoryTalk View ME, it says that Bit Arrays are not supported.

How do I get my state indicators to work in FactoryTalk View ME since I can't use Bit Arrays anymore? Can I just change the Bit Arrays to INT and just reference the value instead?

Welcome to the forum!
Tough first post.

You can use bit arrays for the alarms, but nowhere else.
FTView ME likes to work with integer values best.

Yes, you can change over to an INT. You will need to change the state values of the indicator over to (1, 2, 4, 8, etc.).
If you were looking at the middle part of the INT, such as bits 4,5,6,7 then you need to bit shift INTtag >> 4

Here is an example. Just rename to XML and import.
View attachment BitArray.xml.txt

There is no single answer to solve bit arrays. If you have too many, those bitwise expression can really slow down the terminal. Even the PanelView Migration guide does not have suggestions to fix.

Let me know how it works out.

I was able to switch all the arrays from BIT_ARRAYS to INT. I ran into another problem when checking the connection tags.

In the old PanelBuilder32 HMI program the objects were linked to tags via Tag Names instead of the Tag Addresses.
For example:

The Tag N103:8/2 is referenced as a Write Tag in the old HMI as N103-08-02_Master_Start_PB.

Addressing connection via Tag Name worked in the PB32 application, however FTVME does not seem to like making connections using Tag Names.

In FactoryTalk View ME, I've found that manually changing the "Connection" tag from N103-08-02_Master_Start_PB to {[PATH]N103:8.2} works, but I was wondering if there was a work around. During the migration from PB32 to FTVME the entire tags were transferred over including the Tag Names, Tag Address, and Path to controller. The reason for the work around is that there are 800+ objects that would have to be changed to address the Tag Address instead of the Tag Name.

Last edited:
Try re-browsing the address in the HMI tag database.
If [PATH]N103:8.2 works in the object it should work as an HMI tag as well.

A workaround is to use the Tag Convert Wizard from Rockwell. It will replace all your HMI tags with direct references; make sure your HMI tag addresses are correct first.

The tool is on their KnowledgeBase, but it's TechConnect
Migration Guide pg.73 "2711p-ap001.pdf"
"You can download The TCW utility from the Knowledgebase.
Refer to Technote 31289"