GE Series One PLC

scubatony

I recently received a GE Series One PLC and wondered where I could find some literature to tell me how to program it. Can anybody help?

The product line formerly known as the GE Series One is currently being sold by Automation Direct under the model name DL305. If you have the right CPU module, the Automation Direct software can be used to program it.

For a GE Series One to interace with software running on a PC, you'll need a Data Communications Unit. The GE number is IC610CCM105. That has a RS422 port, so you'll also need a RS422/RS232 converter. Automation direct has a Data Communications Unit with a RS232 port so you don't need a converter. That part number is D3-232-DCU. GE's programming software was a DOS application called Logicmaster One. Automation Direct's software is called DirectSoft32. The version for the DL305 is part number PC-PGM-305.

Another option is a hand-held programmer. The GE part number is IC610PRG105. The AD equivalent is D3-HP.

"Another option is a hand-held programmer. The GE part number is IC610PRG105. The AD equivalent is D3-HP."

I've got the hand-held programmer IC610PRG100B. I just don't know how to program it. The CPU is the IC610CPU101C W/ 1K RAM MODULE.

Automation Direct manuals are available from their website, automationdirect.com. The GE manual is publication number GEK-90842. It's not available online, but if you get in touch with your local GE Fanuc distributor, they can probably get you a copy. It is available in pdf format from the 'Legacy Products' CD. If all else fails, contact me via PM and give me an email address. I can send you a copy. You need to have a broadband internet connection, because it's a 30 meg file. Try pursuing the other options, because I won't be able to get it to you before the end of the week.

Just to sum things up...

The GE610CPU101C cannot be used with Directsoft. You might find an old copy of GE Logicmaster that can program it, but you will still need the CCM or DCU interface.

The handheld manual can be found here. A manual that should work for the CPU can be found here. It will not be exactly the same, but it is close enough to get you started.

It has been a while sence I have used one of these plc's. Although you could get software for programming these. A keypad was also available that would snap on top of the power supply/plc on the right side of the rack. I remembering programming these with the keypad, once you got the hang of it, it wasn't so bad. I also believe that the GE Series One, is the same as the Texas Instruments 305. Anyway, at one factory I worked at, we were able to inter-exchange the keypad and I/O cards between these 2 different brand of plc's. So, if you are searching around for info on your Series One, try searching for info on the TI 305.

GE Series One, TI305, Siemens 305, and the AutomationDirect DL305 are all the same PLC family, developed by Koyo in the early 1980's. Most parts will interchange without any problems.