RSLinx 1747 PIC Problem

yam785

Lifetime Supporting Member
A customer called and related that their driver for the PIC had gotten deleted. He added the 1747 PIC/AIC+ driver in Linx,configured it for com1. It shows up stopped in the driver list, and the start-stop buttons are greyed out.

If anyone can be of some help, it would be much appreciated. I only got to talk to him for a short time on the phone, so I didn't get too much detail. I can call him back, if I have an idea of what details will be helpful.

Thanks

A shot in the dark but can't hurt to try. See below. Shut down RSLinx and delete the harmony files.

Uncheck autobrowse and delete the driver before doing the below. Then try to add again.

DELETE HARMONY Files;
(it may be necessary to Reboot the computer first)
- Find Files or Folders;
- Search; HARMONY*.*
(typically they will be found in C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCOMMON)
- DELETE both;
HARMONY.HRC
HARMONY.RSH
(RSLinx will recreate these files automatically)

Last edited:
If in linx there are other DF1 drivers they must be stopped before adding the 1747 PIG as the PIG has no facility to start / stop.
Afterwards you then need to delete the PIG so you can run any other DF1 drivers

Make sure he isn't running xp pro with service pack 3. I just went through the same issue. I had to down grade from service pack 3 to service pack 2. Worked fine after that!

Another thing to check:

In order for the PIC driver to function, RSLinx must not be running as a service. Open the RSLinx Launch Control Panel, and make sure that "Always Run as a Service" is not checked.

jimbo3123, great fix. why can't they just leave s*** alone? Many thanks, just got this system from IT and of course I've been reworking the system to make it a usable failities machine. This fix Works %100

jimbo3123's fix worked for me but I needed to do the following 3 steps:

1. First copy the SP2 serenum.sys file to c:\windows\system32\dllcache (after backing up existing file). This prevents Windows File Protection from copying the SP3 file back over the top of your SP2 file. (Hint: Make sure you enable viewing hidden files and protected operating system files)
2. Copy the SP2 serenum.sys file to c:\windows\system32\drivers and overwrite the existing file
3. Uninstall and re-install RSLinx. You may want to throw a reboot or two in for good measure.

The serenum.sys workaround doesn't seem to work on new computers. The Windows File Protection keeps overwriting the SP2 version of the serenum.sys file even though I put it in dllcache first.

Does any one have a way to get the PIC Driver working and/or get the SP2 version of serenum.sys to stick?

Please don't tell me the only way is removing SP3 as this is not an option.

The three best ways I can think of to deal with this situation is,
1. replace all the PLC's that require the PIG,
2. or buy a 1747 UIC to replace the PIG
3. dedicate an old computer just to run the PIG, Windows 98 was our choice.

We went with number 1 and removed the last one just recently, replacing with ML 1100 and ML 1400 with Ethernet and Serial comms options.
But we were also covering our bases by having choice 2 available, along with choice 3

Bummer.... I have this thread book marked for my customers that ask the same question and send about 2 a week here to try it.

I do sell an aftermarket 1747-UIC and it will work with SP3 with no problems

Gil47::Afterwards you then need to delete the PIG so you can run any other DF1 drivers
I've found no need to delete the pic everytime I want DF1. I can start and stop the service to kill the pic. I set the unsigned drivers so they do not auto install (Should be on by default). When I restart RSlinx say no on the popup confirmation for the pic driver if I want DF1. When I'm done with DF1 and want the pic just restart the service and yes on the pic driver confirmation. If you switch a lot you might want to pin services.msc to your start menu so you can kill it if it's brakes quit. Of course for $10 you could add another serial port. I spent the $10 on donuts.

YAM 785

I had this exact problem. Last week I deleted (instead of uninstalling) my PIC from device manager inorder to use my comport for another process. This week I could not get my PIC to reinstall. I have used the 1747PIC for a number of years with no problem. I have been trying everything I could think of for the last three days, including all suggestions on this forum. Finally today, I decided to do a system Restore on my laptop and restored back a couple of months. Once this was done and the computer restarted, everything started to work again. I opened RSLinx and it prompted me to install the RSLINX disk. It seemed to reinstall some files and immediately the pic started to communicate with my SLC502. FYI I am running XP professional 2002 service pack 2 and the PIC I am using is a 1747PIC Rev A.