Help!!!! Step7 is holding me prisoner and will not let me go home!!!!

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
I can't close Step7 and shut down my PC beause Step 7 will not let me save a program with an error.

I am trying to pass an ANY value to the SEND parameter of an AG_LSEND and the RECV parameter of a AG_LRECV. I have a pSendData and pRecvData declared as ANY but I can't pass an ANY value to an ANY parameter no matter how many # I put in front of pSendData or pRecvData. Go figure.

Right now I have only FC50 and FC60 in a function block FB10. pSendData and pRecvData are parameters in the IN area of FB10.

HAVE I TOLD YOU GUYS HOW MUCH I HATE Step 7 RECENTLY?

Also there is an ID field and is seems I can't use a parameter for that field. It must be hard coded.

The examples only show hard coded addresses. I will have to find my Berger books.

I have got a new S7 315-2 PN/DP and I am writing an FB that will make it easier to communicate with our controller. At least I am programming over Ethernet instead of MPI.

Change to STL view and comment out the offending code.

// BAD Code Here

Then save it and come back at it in the morning.

Nick

Right now I have only FC50 and FC60 in a function block FB10. pSendData and pRecvData are parameters in the IN area of FB10.

You cannot pass on an ANY parameter as a parameter to another block. You will have to declare temp ANY's in your FB and copy the ANY parameter data to the temp ANY's. Warning - this will only work as long as the original ANY parameters do not point to the temp area of the block calling FB10

Change to STL view and comment out the offending code.

// BAD Code Here

Then save it and come back at it in the morning.

Nick
Unfortunately, as Simon reminded me a couple of weeks back, the editor tries to save your data before changing the view, so if you have an error you can't change the view.

However, since I'm sure Peter wouldn't be programming in anything other than STL or SCL, your suggestion has probably solved his problem - or maybe not, since he was still logged in a few minutes ago. :)

Do you use the onboard PN port, or a CP343-1 ?

I have got a new S7 315-2 PN/DP [..]
If you are using the onboard PN port for the Send/receive blocks, then you cannot use AG_SEND/AG_RECV or AG_LSEND/AG_LRECV. These blocks are used with a CP343-1.
For an onboard PN port, you have to use the "T"-blocks TCON, TDISCON, TSEND, TRCV. They are quite different to the AG_SEND/AG_RECV blocks.
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/29737976 (sample ISo_On_TCP)
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/32048373 (sample TCP)
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/31938422 (sample UDP)
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/1214574 (see chapter 23)

In case you have a CP343-1, then please ignore.

How am I supposed to know that?

Thanks JesperMP, that will save me a lot of wasted time and ranting. I must be retarded because I can't read Siemens' collective Borg mind. Stupid me, I should have known that yet another set of communications blocks is required for PN Ethernet and the names of the blocks.

Peter Nachtwey said:
How am I supposed to know that
A good question. With Siemens to just read the manual(s), may be too much to ask for, and may not even be enough. They do post lots of FAQs and sample projects on their support site, but the problem is how to know what to look for. Myself, I get newsletters for all of their new support entries, and I always check if there is any new and relevant support information. In that way I will not be caught off guard. But for an on-and-off Siemens user, it is not easy.

A good advice would be to start a thread here in this forum, like "I am going to use xxx for the first time with an yyy PLC. Are there any critical information I should be aware of before I start ?".
Siemens also have a quite good forum, but this one gets better responses.

Btw. I prefer Peter's rants over an assimilated Peter.