Control Panel Pictures

I know that a lot of you guys have seen this one already, but I thoutht I'd add a picture here just for posterity. For the rest of you... this was my first attempt at designing a control system from scratch, and is the "brain" of a machine for feeding, measuring, and cutting spring wire:

PANEL07.jpg

Amazingly, the machine has been running for over a year now, with no problems other than an encoder replacement early on. Much help came from the members of this forum, for which I'm eternally grateful. I've got another control system to design and build now -- the first one since the above system -- and will hopefully receive some guidance from the experts here. :)

Paula

Hey That looks real nice. Clean, well laid out, and plenty of room. Cool. By the way, the ferrite on your comm. line was that orginal or did you add it after seeing something? I just lost an Idec to a R-232 problem.

Hi,

Thanks for the nice comments. That ferrite block came with the EZText panel, and it also included one for the supply conductors.

EZTXTBAK.jpg

Do they help? I don't know, but there haven't been any problems so far.

Paula

Small RIO Rack Panel controlling Silo Convey System from Large Extruder Plant.

Picture taken during installation.

504_Rio_55Kw_Soft_Start.jpg

Last edited:
Not exactly the inside of a control panel, but this is one of my favorites using these labels that my company makes. It is a little washed out from the flash, but I didn't realize until I was well off the job site.

ButtonBox2.JPG

booman,

If you look closely it's a sticker. Simply draw it out on CAD then print on to a clear lable adheasive with a color laser printer.

booman said:
Archie, how do you make those nice control panel fronts from post #141?
booman

It is actually a "sticker" as elevmike pointed out. They are actually printed and cut on a very expensive printer. If you were to just print them on a laser printer, you would find that after they get touched/rubbed every day, in about 3 months there would be no print left. The picture in the post #141 was taken after it was in production for about 6 months and you can see it is still as sharp as new.

Here is a pic that shows how individual ones look. Where you can see where the cutting process comes into play. My company only currently does these internally, but is in the process of creating a web site to sell custom made ones.
ButtonLabelsSmall.JPG

Eric Nelson

I really like your CAD layout. It looks really impressive with so much detail.

I used to tediously draw to that much detail before the days of readily available CAD file downloading, but realized the reward soon no longer became worth the effort. I haven't investigated recently to see if most of the cmponents are now more available.

Did you create that from downloaded files from the manufacturer's web sites?

3 years since last post.

I'll try to stir up some dust.

Here are some pictures for one of our absolutely smalles projects. The control panel is small, but the principles are the same even if it had been much bigger.

Picture 1 is from the outside.
Notice the small TP177-4 operator panel. It is intended for emergency operation if the PC based HMI should have trouble.

Picture 2 is with the doors open.
Why do you think there are 2 contactors in series before the softstarter ?

Picture 3 is a close-up of the PLC.
This is my first project with the IM151-8. Shall be interesting how it goes.

edit: Yes, there is a lot of room for the eventual expansion. But we and our panel builder think that the money saved on a smaller panel would be so minimal that it wasnt worth the effort.

NB. How does one show pictures without in the post, not just as a file for upload ? It seems this functionality has been changed.

Small control panel.outside with operator panel.JPG Small control panel.inside.JPG Small control panel. PLC.JPG

Last edited:
i noticed you guys all seem to love the wiring duct method - has anyone here ever used the www.satiena.com system for your panel designs? i really like it - and ive pretty much made it the standard for panels that our company designs, i've also started work on trying to get it accepted as the NAMAS standard for anything going into Toyota in north america ;-)