pc-plc cable for AB L542 cpu (beginner)

Leo64

Hi,
I am looking for the cable to connect my pc ( USB) to my AB L542 cpu and one for my panelview 550 ( serial DB9 femal ? )

I believe you could not make it yourself ?

Kind regards, Leo

Hi Leo,

I am the person from ebay that you sent the email to....

Let me (us) know the part number of the panelview there are many

Yes you can make these if you have a USB adapter or you could buy them from me

I sent the email back from eBay so you should see it also

Regards
Mark

Now it is getting a little bit difficult doo we proceed on this forum or with PM ?

Anyway : The hardware is futered to buy, i am buying everything I need and came across your ebay shop...For the cables that I need. Here in Belgium it is all Siemens PLC, i like the one from AB more ( personal meaning, not that other brands or minor or so )

The slc cpu L542 has tree ports, as i understand correctly, 1 DH+, 1 serial for connecting my futured panelview 550 H serie, and one for programming ( the little round one ) Looks like 1761-CBL-PM02. I want too simultanoius testing and programming with the panelview connected.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I realy try, but somethimes my Englisch lets me down, i life in Belgim ans speaks Dutch, that is why
icon11.gif

The slc cpu L542 has tree ports, as i understand correctly, 1 DH+, 1 serial for connecting my futured panelview 550 H serie, and one for programming ( the little round one ) Looks like 1761-CBL-PM02. I want too simultanoius testing and programming with the panelview connected.
Stop, the little round port is a DH+ port in parallel with the three pin DH+ port. Do not plug a 1761-CBL-PM02 into that port to your PC.

Hi,
I include a picture how the cpu 5/042 looks like , it is a few years ago but we do connect or pc with the round port in the middle at work for diagnostic reasons. I do not remember what cable but i do remember it because it was a bit difficult to plug it in.
Now my question remains, if i use a cp13 cable for programming on the serial rs232 port. Where to connect a panelview model 550 with no DH+ connection. I realy like do test my program with a panelview connected so it is possible too interact.

504.jpg

Yes you can use that DH+ port for programming ( that's not its only purpose). See picture below.
You will need a 1784-PCMK card or the new USB to DH+ converter to do so with a laptop. Or a 1784-KTX card for a desktop. See links below.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1784-um519_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1784-in045_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1784-um522_-en-p.pdf

DH+port.jpg

Hi Leo,

As always my friend Mickey is correct...

If you want to program via the Data Highway I have a few of the PCMK cards and cables... but I would not suggest it for a beginner as they cost around 600 USD, you can program that CPU with the serial port just below the round one, and you can make it or buy it for around 15 USD.

The other you were asking about was the PanelView if you supply us the complete part number we can tell you what you will need for communication between the PLC and your PC for programming

This is my B series PCMK I also have A cheaper
Allen Bradley 1784-PCMK /B & 1784-PCM5 1784PCMK

This is my cheapest USB to CP3 Allen Bradley USB-1747-CP3 1756-CP3 SLC 504/3/5 (USB-7)

Send me an email if you just need the pinout and want to make it yourself... you can use a USB adapter (some work and some don't)

Regards
Mark

And yes a very small world :)

Hi,
Now I remember we do have a card plugged in, expensive goods...
The usb alternative excludes "older classic cpu's" like the 5/04, anaway to expensive for a small budged amateur...

600 Us is realy to much, so simultanious programming and pv connection is not affortable for me.

At the moment i search what everything cost, so i can make an estimate, the pv 300 is the cheapest at the moment, so i do not have more information.

For cables i see a reasable pricing, hardware is also reasable to find now it rests on software...

Are there any versions for students or use at home ? As i see it , i need RSLogix, RSlinx, RSview (for the PV300) or panelbilder for the PV 550, without asking for anything ilegal...

There is a free version of RSLogix, but it will program MicroLogix 1000 and 1100's (RSLinx is also free)

Not sure if there is a demo version of Panel Builder...

If you are stuck on a 5/04 (or just the 500 series) you should look as a 5/03 its a little cheaper just no data highway, I sell a USB cable you could use for the upper port (DH) and then you can use the serial port for the HMI

As a beginner there are so many questions and confusions...
Stuck on the 5 series is for budget reasons, or do i make a mistake with thinking so ?
"I sell a USB cable you could use for the upper port (DH) and then you can use the serial port for the HMI "
I can program and monitoring with this cable ? I gues it is expensive ?
"
There is a free version of RSLogix, but it will program MicroLogix 1000 and 1100's (RSLinx is also free)"
You say, not working with slc 5/04 ? If it do works with slc 500 it would intrest me offcourse... Can you provide me with direction ?

The free version will only work with MicroLogix, not SLC... but they are the same software so by learning one you are also learning the other

If I were you... I would get a 1100 or 1000 and a PanelView C series (no software needed) OR go with a Red Lion HMI also free software and color HMI's... great support

I sell the Red Lion / MicroLogix trainers... you should make/buy something like this http://www.plctrainer.net/RLML.JPG

You can find the free version of RSLogix here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=46036

I've chequed out the micrologix system, they are like LOGO from siemens. Not what I'am looking for , finaly it needs too control a panelsaw ( CNC type )thats my goal...
About the cable question, you talk about one for connecting DH+ too USB on the Pc. If I understand correctly that is the expensive one Mikey ( 1784-PCMK ) talk about or is it another one?
Training is also relative for me it is more a refreschment, i worked a lot with big AB systems for maintenance reasons, seek out why a plc controlled system is not working, programming is something else...

No the MicroLogix are better then the Logo... they are a real PLC, AB also sells a line like the Logo called Pico

I think we should continue this conversation with email... I have to many links to my products and some may not like it...

Send me an email again and we will continue, I am going to go get dinner so it will be later tonight

Regards
Mark