Doubt in multi instances of an FB

manmeetvirdi

Hi there,
How are you all??

Ok question:

I have an FB 'A' which is calling FB 'B' four times.
In FB 'B' am using IN, OUT, STAT as well as TEMP.
I saw that bits used in TEMP area sometimes misbehaves. That is even if logic wise they have to be FALSE, they somehow remains TRUE !!
This problem is gone once I initialize TEMP area of FB 'B' at the very starting.
Ex: L 0
T LW 0

Am I doing something wrong because of which bits misbehave. These bits stuck once in a while or you can say once in a blue moon !

Cant think of any reason other than that you have conditional logic that does not always write to local variables which are read.

Posting the code would ofcourse reveal that..

are you reading temps before conditioning them first seeing how zeroing them solves the issue?

Hi,

Temp variables cannot be used like that. If program execution jumps straight to BE5 (without going through J13) the value for #Ignore_HH2 is coming from the local memory. #Ignore_HH2 is reset here but L22.0 is set previously in the program execution.

Classic error using SET to condition a local variable without resetting it at the start of the block.

Code:
J13:  +AR1  P#2.0
      +AR2  P#2.0
      L     #count
      LOOP  J12
[B][COLOR=red]      SET   
      S     #Ignore_HH2
[/COLOR][/B]      JU    J15
J14:  LAR1  P#DBX 10.0
      LAR2  #Ar2_index_HH2
      +AR2  P#10.0
      TAR2  #Ar2_index_HH2

L     #out_count
      LOOP  J11

J15:  LAR2  #Ar2_save
BE5:  A     #Ignore_HH2                 //<<<---Problematic bit (Bit remains TRUE)
      =     #same2                      //<<<<--This bit remains TRUE because of above bit, LOL!      
      R     #Ignore_HH2                 //<<<<---The traitor does not resets here :-(

Hi,
Well cant get the point still.

Temp variables cannot be used like that. If program execution jumps straight to BE5 (without going through J13) the value for #Ignore_HH2 is coming from the local memory. #Ignore_HH2 is reset here but L22.0 is set previously in the program execution.

But #Ignore_HH2 is name of L22.0, so reseting #Ignore_HH2 should mean reseting L22.0. Also my believe is that local memory gets initialized between calls, that is when a block is called Local memory becomes zero. Is this not true !!:rolleyes:

Classic error using SET to condition a local variable without resetting it at the start of the block.

What I can make it out is that by transferring zero to local memory Iam resetting the bits, approach which I took to overcome the problem.

But why in first place that bit did not reset when I say

A #Ignore_HH2
= #same2
R #Ignore_HH2

:unsure:

Eagerly waiting for replies.....

Hi,
Well cant get the point still.

But #Ignore_HH2 is name of L22.0, so reseting #Ignore_HH2 should mean reseting L22.0. Also my believe is that local memory gets initialized between calls, that is when a block is called Local memory becomes zero. Is this not true !!:rolleyes:

(y)

You need always make sure u write to l area variable before reading from it. Otherwise it has "some" value.

Code:
J11:  T     #out_count; 
      L     5; 
J12:  T     #count; 
      L     W [AR1,P#0.0]; 
      L     W [AR2,P#0.0]; 
      ==I   ; 
      JC    J13; 

JU    J14; 
J13:  +AR1  P#2.0; 
      +AR2  P#2.0; 
      L     #count; 
      LOOP  J12; 
      SET   ; 
      S     #Ignore_HH2; [B]//YOU DONT ALWAYS GO TROUGH THIS PART OF CODE, BUT QUERY STATUTS OF Ignore_HH2, ALWAYS WRITE FIRST TO L AREA VARIABLE BEFORE QUERYING ITS STATUS[/B]
      JU    J15; 

J14:  LAR1  P#DBX 10.0; 

LAR2  #Ar2_index_HH2; 
      +AR2  P#10.0; 
      TAR2  #Ar2_index_HH2; 

L     #out_count; 
      LOOP  J11; 

J15:  LAR2  #Ar2_save; 
BE5:  A     #Ignore_HH2; <<<---Problematic bit (Bit remains TRUE)
      =     #same2;      <<<<--This bit remains TRUE because of above bit, LOL!      
      R     #Ignore_HH2; <<<<---The traitor does not resets here :-(
[code]
[/quote]

Last edited:
Yep,

might be that L22.0 is set in the previous call of FB 'B' as #Ignore_HH2. It remains true when program executes the second FB 'B'.

Uninitialised temps can catch you out years later. I once wrote some code for controlling the automatic unloading functions of a machine - it worked fine originally and was subsequently used on several machines before one developed a problem whereby it would sudenly begin unloading on its own; this was caused by an uninitialised temp variable. This happened because of a change to the software elsewhere.

Temp memory is allocated dynamically in runtime and its contents will be whatever the last program to use it left there - it might be zero or it might not!

Nick

Thanks..
Got very clear idea how to go about using The TEMP.

Rule of thumb for using TEMP

**Do not attempt to read the temp memory unless you have written something to it.**
otherwise.... you can end up doing this o_O or this 🔨 instead of doing this 🍺.

In my case i jump over if condition is false without writing to temp bit, this I need change to Reseting #Ignore_HH2 before any jump instruction so that even if conditions is false I have written meaningfull value to this bit.