Data Highway Plus (DH+) Network access

kota_rt

I have a point in my DH+ network where a node has been removed. I would like to use this point (where DH+ cable “a” and DH+ cable “b” are connected at the standard 3 pin Phoenix connector) to gain access to the network via PCMK card. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences accessing DH+ in the “middle” of a length of blue hose?

It is no problem for the network to attach there as long as you use a unique node number. The problem is coming up with the parts to make an adapter for your PCMK cable. If you have the nine pin D connector on your cable (1784-PCM5) it is easy. If your cable has the 8 pin mini-din end, then it is more difficult.

Two main things I'd recommend:

1. Install a 1770-SC station connector to join "A" and "B" of the trunkline. This provides a proper place to connect the drop to the station you're adding.

2. Don't exceed 50' on your drop line, IIRC, the max. length for a DH drop.

3. Lastly, it's a simple thing but, make sure you don't use an address already in service on the network.

I would go with this GracePort from Grace Engineering:

http://www.grace-eng.com/files/DataHighway-Dec07.pdf

We have used this in control panel doors, but mounting this in a junction box with some power wiring would turn that drop into an excellent support station. The link I provided allows for the DB9 connector as well as the 8-pin MiniDin.

I have a PCM6 cable which uses the (AB modified) mini DIN connector. Does anyone have a picture of what the pin numbering is for that connector? AB 15900 – PCMK Cable Pinouts explains what the pins are but fails to show the pin numbering.

Last edited:
If you have the resources, you could install a ControlLogix chassis, 1 - ENBT (Ethernet Bridge Module), 1 - DHRIO (DH+/RIO Bridge Module).

Using this, you could use any computer connected to the lan (or just the ethernet card if you don't want it available on a lan), and connect to your DH+ highway. The DHRIO module also has a port (the same as the port on the PLC5 module) that use could use to connect.

Thanks to all for the support. I used a CP7(space shuttle adapter) to ring out the pins and determine the pin numbering of the modified AB mini DIN receptacle.

Thanks to all for the support. I used a CP7(space shuttle adapter) to ring out the pins and determine the pin numbering of the modified AB mini DIN receptacle.

At first I couldn't tell what you were talking about when you said "space shuttle adapter". Then I looked at one and it clicked. I use that thing all of the time, and I never noticed that it looks like a little shuttle.

I have the DH+ cable that only has the Din connector, used to have the one with a 9-pin end and the space shuttle adapter. Had a trouble call two weeks ago where the 9-pin was the only way to connect and had to abort mission. What a blast from the past.