New Laptop PC

bwhite

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm on the hunt for a new one. I've always had good luck with Dell Lattitude and would like to stay with Dell. Question is, yes, you know, serial port. I have the USB to serial port adapter that all have suggested, trusting in you all. I like Windows XP Pro but looks like I'll have to go to Windows 7 Pro in getting a new laptop PC.

I have a couple of 16 bit apps that I need to run. Suggestions? Hints, tips or tricks?

Main apps for me are Motorola MOSCAD/ACE, Allen Bradley (all flavors), Schneider Modicon and whatever else you can throw at me. HMI, WonderWare, Maple Systems, and some Trihedral VTS.

Just throwing a line out to see what you guys are using these days hardware-wise as I'm about to make a purchase.

Thanks for the years of advice and some funny threads.

Last edited:
Dell D820 with real serial port - windows xp

IBM think pad again with real serial port - windows xp

MAC Book Pro OSX

And use VMware lots with windows 98, dos and windows xp virtual machines with various software loads on different machines

I don't know if they are still available, but we have Dell Lat D630 ATG.

ATG is a rugged version of regular Lat, has XP Pro as option, DVD drive swappable for 3.5 floppy, and serial port built in. Also has twice the backlight power, so we have never had a problem viewing screen in sunlight. Great laptop

Dell D series is the way. Dell will not sell you a computer with XP must get 7. We are learning our way through what software will run on 7 and what has to be in XP mode.

Dell D series is the way. Dell will not sell you a computer with XP must get 7. We are learning our way through what software will run on 7 and what has to be in XP mode.

I'm curious about this. I haven't had a new laptop or desktop in several years. If I buy a new Dell, or any other manufacturer for that matter, will the new hardware accept XP SP3 as an OS? I have/own my own licensed copy of XP3. IOW's, can I "dumb down" new hardware to accept XP?

Just bought a Dell XPS 501. We'll see I suppose. Delivery date is first week of December.

Ya ever get the feeling that you're the first one to test ****e and stuff out?

Last edited:
Dell Latitude E5510 has a serial port

Just bought one of these... it came in last Friday. With Windows 7, so it'll be interesting to see what runs and what doesn't.

As a laptop, it is pretty sweet. It'll take me a while to get it configured with all my controls software and find out how well it does with the equipment.

I just picked up an E5510 myself as well. Hooray for a REAL serial port, and the Core I5 puts my aging Thinkpad to shame! I found it odd that there are NO ports on the back, but I'm actually liking that 'feature' now. No more fumbling trying to connect cables behind the screen, and you can SEE when a cable falls out... (y)

One mistake I made was getting the standard 1366 x 768 screen instead of the HD+ 1600 x 900. When you run in XP mode, the maximum vertical resolution gets clipped to 766, and some programs won't install with a resolution under 768 (Step 7 Basic, for example)... :(

Battery life is amazing, and I only have the 6-cell battery!... :cool:

🍻

-Eric

One mistake I made was getting the standard 1366 x 768 screen instead of the HD+ 1600 x 900. When you run in XP mode, the maximum vertical resolution gets clipped to 766, and some programs won't install with a resolution under 768 (Step 7 Basic, for example)... :(

UPDATE: I temporarily connected an external monitor with a higher resolution, and was able to install Step 7. After it's installed, it doesn't care what resolution you use... :)

I would expect other applications with similar 'minimum resolution' requirements could be installed in XP Mode this way too.

🍻

-Eric

Apple MacBook Pro OSX with Parallels

I am running MS Windows XP and every Windows software package I can think of or have ever owned. I am also using a DOS window for legacy GE and Modicon software that actually finds the USB to serial converter cable. I can not even do that with my PC.

I have to much money in the bank and a real need to update my 4 yr old laptop.

Any downside to the Mac? Can I read the screen in daylight? Some of my stuff is in rural areas and stretching a cable to the pickup so I can read the laptop screen is a real pia.