How to Kill PLC

google08

Is there a way to kill a PLC Cpu , make it dead so no one

notice u have done that? i mean some deadly code u hide

in some other program when they put the PLC in run , KHaa Boom

the PLc is dead , unrepair able

* i dont want to use force, take a hammer or large current
to burn upp the circuit *

Can't imagine the "why" behind your question, but I have to believe that whatever your current situation is you are making a very bad decision on how to solve your problem. Please reconsider your motivations.

This site's main focus is helping people in making their things work.
Not helping people to make it stop working.
I don't think anyone here wants a hand in something that sounds awfully like corporate sabotage.
It's a great way to not only get fired, but jailed as well.

This really isn't the place to ask that kind of question. I'm sure plenty of us have different ideas on how to wreck equipment, but I guarantee you won't get any of them from anyone here.

This really isn't the place to ask that kind of question. I'm sure plenty of us have different ideas on how to wreck equipment, but I guarantee you won't get any of them from anyone here.

I can remember back in my ModComp computer days (the 1980's), we could write a machine language routine that would clear memory (i.e. fill memory with zeros), and then, at the end, roll around and clear itself!

It was really cool, and you could do it on a ModComp because there was a 'copy a stack of registers into a sequential area of memory' command. Debugging was a bit of a chore, of course, because you had to keep re-entering the code (toggle switches on the front panel).

Of course, there is no way to do such a thing to a PLC that I am aware of, because the program itself does not have access to the program memory itself. In other words, it is not self-aware in the same way that a microprocessor is.

And, of course, the reason that its not self-aware is to prevent exactly what is being asked here.

There are situations where "stop faults" need to be tested to be sure that one's recovery policy works. This is best done in a scheduled and controlled atmosphere.
Some PLCs have the ability to introduce a critical fault at will. There is a service request in the GEIP line of PLC with this. I have only seen it used for testing though.

But to "destroy" a CPU is not the intention of this.

An interesting subject though, "How to build a PLC to self destruct".
Maybe some "creative" wiring of an output?

Sound like a job for Stuxnet or DuQu.:)

Last edited:
google08,

As already stated, i to cannot understand why you would want to do such a thing. As mad as i get sometimes at my company,
that is deliberate sabotage of machinery, in short industrial esponiage and in the USA, thats 10+ years in prison. Not only that, who would hire you, your name and reputation is ruined.

If my memory is correct, if you read the agreement for joining this site, you will find that the managers of this website FROWN on this!

in short, the legal implications to anyone who offers to help, as well as this website is something i will never parcipate in.

James

I've got it!
-mount a gun in the electrical cabinet with a small pneumatic cylinder set to the trigger.
- wire an output to a solenoid/valve that activates the small cylinder.
-turn on the output. BAM!!! You have your dead CPU.
Wait you stated you wanted to leave no evidence... forget it then.
There is no way from the program in any PLC I've worked on that would not be a selling feature of that PLC brand.

At a company where I worked many years ago a programmer set up a consulting contract before leaving the company. Since I was taking over for him he made sure to make it a point I had his contact info and emphasized over and over that he would be available to consult for a fee.

Two weeks after he left a controller went down in the middle of the night. I found the code he left behind to crash it in less than 30 minutes. The next day I checked every machine he had programmed and found time bomb code in all except one, all set to crash the controllers at various times. I called him and being somewhat more hotheaded back then than I am now I proceeded to cuss him out. He admitted he didn't expect to ever be found out, which was really stupid on his part because it wasn't hard to find. I documented what I found and the wannabe consultant ex employee was sued for damages.

Even Stuxnet, one of the most sophisticated viruses ever, was found and reverse engineered to see what it did. Don't kid yourself that no one will notice.

I don't know what your motives are behind your question but unless you personally own the PLC I think it is a very bad idea.

If you have a very old PLC that needs to be replaced then make a good solid business proposal. Show how the old one is costing you money and how a new one will make you more money than it costs.

I've got it!
-mount a gun in the electrical cabinet with a small pneumatic cylinder set to the trigger.
There is no way from the program in any PLC I've worked on that would not be a selling feature of that PLC brand.

Made my day. lol (y)

I've got it!
There has been several times when putting a .45 caliber hole right between the ports of a CPU would have been very gratifying. Good thing that back when I was younger, stronger and faster it was not always with me. :)