MLX 1400 with POINT I/O

Ken Roach said:
...There are no supported ways to make a MicroLogix controller emulate I/O scanning by using MSG instructions.

This is correct, but...

JeffKiper said:
I second Ken's statement about Micrologix not supporting remote I/O. Don't use the Micrologix for remote I/O.

...this is not quite correct.

Jeff,

Unless you specifically meant the MicroLogix 1400, but forgot to state as such, within the MicroLogix family of controllers, the ML1500, which supports 1769 CompactLogix modules, can use a 1769-SDN to communicate with Remote I/O over DeviceNet.

All of the other MicroLogix controllers do not support Remote I/O communications. There are no 1762 modules that provide communications to Remote I/O.

The easiest way I can explain why not to use MicroLogix controllers for Remote I/O communications...

If we take the ML1100 and ML1400, which support Ethernet, they only support Explicit Messaging, they do not support Implicit communications, which is required to control I/O over Ethernet.

I would second the use of the CompactLogix L1 controllers as an entry level, but quite capable, POINT I/O Scanner.

Regards,
George

Blanket statements and categorical recommendations are fine.... until George shows up !

Thanks for the expanded comments on the only DeviceNet capable Micrologix.

Ended up at a restaurant called "Kirin City", associated with the big brewery, where they have a bizarre four-minute pour process that leaves a huge thick foam head on the glass. They claim this makes it taste better, but I disagree.

A thick foam head means less beer in the glass.

Yes I made a blanket statement when I should have been precise about all Micrologix EXCLUDING the 1500. I forget about the 1000,1200,&1500. If an 1100 won't do the job I get great pricing on CompactLogix so I make the Jump.

I was fighting a micro 1500 with Modbus RTU drives, Ethernet HMI with scripting and DeviceNet I/O. I decided then to run from the 1500 whenever possible.

This is a two year old thread that got revived. Some things never die...

Now I know you guys who responded know your stuff. You really know your way around the A-B products. But if I can respectfully disagree, I really like building distributed systems using nothing more than 1400's and 1100's. I regularly have built systems using a dozen all communicating - and its a real cost effective approach over the CompactLogix (at least with the prices I get from A-B).

Rather than using Point I/O or Remote I/O from a 1400 my two cents would be 'why not just use multiple 1400's instead'? Build a distributed system and use the explicit messaging between the 1400's (and or 1100's). This can be rock solid reliable, cost effective, and has the added advantage that your system basically can have built-in spare parts (by shutting down a portion of the system and repurposing the 1400's).

I will now get off my (cheap) soap box...

The thread got revived by a new user from Pretoria.

He might be a PhD with a sticky keyboard for all I know, but I want to simplify my advice to him and not end up with a post in a couple of months saying "I followed your advice and built this LNG compression skid with a MicroLogix 1400, now please explain how I should program it".

New or old, a user has revived this thread, and looked like they needed guidance and or clarification on the topic, so I feel we're quite right to reply. If I had read this thread originally, I would probably have added my contribution in a similar manner.

nwboson said:
...But if I can respectfully disagree, I really like building distributed systems using nothing more than 1400's and 1100's...its a real cost effective approach over the CompactLogix...

Rather than using Point I/O or Remote I/O...'why not just use multiple 1400's instead'...and use the explicit messaging between the 1400's...This can be rock solid reliable, cost effective...

I will now get off my (cheap) soap box...

nwboson,

Frankly, I don't think it's a matter of us agreeing, or not agreeing on what hardware to use. Depending on our roles within our respective professions, what we choose to use can be application driven, customer driven, or a personal preference, as in your case.

I'm as big a fan as the next of the MicroLogix 1400. They can indeed provide a very cost effective solution for small to medium applications. I've used them to govern whole production lines with a full complement of discrete I/O modules and networked them together. I would happily recommend them for any application for which they are suitable.

However, if a customer, or an application requires reliable and determinate control of Remote I/O, then, and to repeat, the Explicit messaging, supported by the ML1400, is not reliable for determinate and time-critical control of Remote I/O. Implicit connections must be used here.

If you are simply passing non time-critical data between ML1400's then that's fine, but, and similar to what Ken originally said, it is neither designed, intended nor supported to use Explicit messaging for control of Remote I/O.

Now that's not to say it won't work all day ever day for you, and I'm glad you've had great success with your setup, but as long as you know you are on your own if something goes awry and you are using Explicit messaging for a more critical application.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
but as long as you know you are on your own if something goes awry and you are using Explicit messaging for a more critical application.
Hmmm. Maybe I'm missing something. Are you saying that if I mess up my design but I used the more (ridiculously) expensive Compactlogix, Allen Bradley will stand behind me? Of course not.

All of our designs have to be thoughtful, accurate, safe, and legal. That's why our customers hire experienced I&C engineers. I have found most of my customers will opt for the most cost effective approach: it sure helps win bids. Sure, most I&C folks prefer the easy approach: slap in a CompactLogix. So do I. But if I can get it done less expensive, and just as reliable with cheaper hardware, I win the bid. And the other guy doesn't.

Now, bottom line, if someone were to say explicit messaging between a network of PLCs (be it 1400, 1100, S7-1200, or any other well designed network PLC) is not safe or does not work: I think of that as fear tactics. Fear is many times a good marketing approach. However, if you know what you are doing, and you understand the principles of interprocess communication, and you know what a lock is, and you know what a semaphore is, and you understand how to architect an ethernet network then explicit communication is 100% reliable. 100%. 100%.

Sorry - I jumped back on my soapbox. Its so comfortable up there. I'll get off again...

Why Explicit Messaging for Control of Remote I/O is a No No!

Sorry, just me dragging up this old thread again...

I read your reply the other evening but hadn't time to do my reply justice until this evening.

nwboson said:
Hmmm. Maybe I'm missing something. Are you saying that if I mess up my design but I used the more (ridiculously) expensive Compactlogix, Allen Bradley will stand behind me? Of course not...

Are you asking me, or telling me? Now remember, and as you put it, we are "respectfully" disagreeing here.

Of course they will support you, as a customer. If you "mess up" anywhere while in the design stage, they will happily guide you back on track, no matter what platform you are using, MicroLogix, CompactLogix, etc. What they will not support is a solution which they have expressly stated, for very good reasons, is not designed, intended nor supported, and not for the reasons you seem to think. They will advise you in such a case to use a correct solution for the application in hand.

"Of course they will", you say..."they will want me to use the (rediculously) expensive CompactLogix", you say...

nwboson said:
...I have found most of my customers will opt for the most cost effective approach: it sure helps win bids...if I can get it done less expensive, and just as reliable with cheaper hardware, I win the bid. And the other guy doesn't.

The customer can often be blinded by the price, and may not be educated enough to know the difference between subtleties, such as Explicit messaging and Implicit connections. Expense is a relative term in this game. Is it better to do it more inexpensively or more correctly? Your above statement might suggest you are convincing yourself that it is always ok to use this method of passing I/O data, just to win bids? I know that's like a red rag to a raging bull for you because you say you are doing it "just as reliable". But I'll stress it again. If you are only using Explicit messaging for non time-critical I/O data between controllers, then that is a fully supported and common practice. But if you are using Explicit messaging to "Control" time-critical I/O data, then that is not supported and can actually be dangerous, or at the very least not 100% "Control Reliable".

nwboson said:
...Now, bottom line, if someone were to say explicit messaging between a network of PLCs (be it 1400, 1100, S7-1200, or any other well designed network PLC) is not safe or does not work...(while Controlling Remote I/O)

I think I just did? However, I would not go as far as to say it does not work, more it does not work deterministically.

nwboson said:
...I think of that as fear tactics. Fear is many times a good marketing approach.

There is no fear tactics, propaganda, or conspiracy here. RA will advise you as to which platform suits your application best. If your application requires real-time Control of Remote I/O, they will not recommend the MicroLogix 1400. Not because it means more money for them, but because the MicroLogix family has its limitations. Control of Remote I/O being one of them.

nwboson said:
...However, if you know what you are doing, and you understand the principles of interprocess communication, and you know what a lock is, and you know what a semaphore is, and you understand how to architect an ethernet network then explicit communication is 100% reliable. 100%. 100%.

It is not, or else RA would proudly extol the MicroLogix family as fully supporting "Control of Remote I/O". Good networking architecture has nothing to do with what we are saying here. So you do not need to defend or proclaim your networking prowess. This is an inherent design limitation of this hardware platform. Explicit messaging is inherently non deterministic, synchronous and uncontrolled.

That sounds a bold statement to make?

Why is it non deterministic, synchronous and uncontrolled?

An explicit message is a much slower form of control and non deterministic. This means that you cannot guarantee how long the I/O will take to update when the message is sent, if at all. Therefore all equipment used in this manner, should be subject to a risk assessment, taking into account the mechanical and electrical implementation. In other words, you need to decide if the I/O data is time-critical or not, as it may cause harm or damage if not updated within a certain timeframe.

The MSG instruction is placed in the program logic, and often queued with other MSG instructions. It forms part of the program scan cycle. The execution of the MSG instruction is synchronous with the scan cycle. It must wait its turn at the end of every scan cycle, or SVC instruction. The MSG instruction has limitations on the ammount of I/O data that can be assigned to the message. To transmit large blocks of I/O may take several MSG instructions. The 1400 has a limited message buffer and queue system. If queued, or not managed correctly, some MSG instructions can be skipped for several scan cycles. This adds overhead to the I/O update time, making it further undeterminable.

Explicit messaging of I/O data is uncontrolled. It is not under the control of a Scanner, whose sole purpose is the aquisition and transfer of the data. Therefore, the I/O data is not real-time data. It is constrained to the delays inherent in the Explicit MSG instruction's execution time, queues, retries, timeouts, errors, etc. If one controller faults, the other will not know until the next cycle of Explicit messages, so monitoring of the connection is only available at the software level.

Implicit connections are deterministic. The connection is managed and maintained by the processor. A watchdog, independant of the program scan cycle, monitors the connection to ensure the data is updated within 100ms after the RPI. If not, a fault is triggered.

They are asynchronous to the program scan. The I/O data is updated at the specified RPI, and is not in any way dependant on the program scan cycle. The Remote I/O Adapter updates the Scanner, which in turn updates the Processor, all within a predetermined time, each time, or else it faults.

Now perhaps you knew all this, but have chosen to either ignore it, or not believe it, but those are the hard facts. Those are the reasons Explicit messaging cannot be 100% trusted with time-critical, real-time, deterministic, asynchronous, and potentially dangerous I/O control.

RA are not in the business of sanctioning potentially dangerous misuse of their products, no more than they are in the business of promoting unecessary hardware usage.

nwboson said:
...Sorry - I jumped back on my soapbox. Its so comfortable up there. I'll get off again...

Well, you did say it was "cheap", you don't want to wear it out too soon, now do you? :p

G.

Well said Geospark and I completely agree with everything you've said.

If you want remote IO at a MicroLogix price then look into the new S7-1200 PLC's with ET200S PROFINET IO.

If it's up to me I'll use AB products every time, but I know where the limitations exist and if the client doesn't want to pay for an entry level CompactLogix L16 to do remote IO properly then I will be telling them we need to look at another vendor and not do it the "dodgy" way so to speak.