R/W on PLC5 through ASCII & RS232

I think (and hope) that this is what you asked for ...

Greetings jeffroman,

see if this helps ... to test it out, connect HyperTerminal and set the parameters to the same values used for Channel 0 ... the HyperTerminal screen should start filling with values like these:

this is sample data from the PLC’s real-time clock – in the format:

hours,minutes,seconds, ... of course you’ll want to modify the program to use your own values ...

then use HyperTerminal to transmit any three valid integer values in this format:

32767,-1024,4095,

note that the comma separators MUST be used for proper operation ... and note the trailing comma at the end of the string ... be sure to use “0” placeholders for zero values ...

if everything works out, then the following integer locations should have these values stored:

N31:1 = 32767

N31:2 = -1024

N31:3 = 4095

once you’ve seen the technique, you should be able to expand the routine to use more than three parameters ...

and incidentally, the advice that everyone has been giving you about the use of “non-standard” approaches like this are perfectly valid ... this is NOT a good way to handle things in an industrial environment ... there is no attempt here to provide error checking or fault handling procedures ... and NO WARRANTY! of any kind is offered ...

but I sincerely hope that this helps ... good luck with your project ...

PS ... for anyone who’s a glutton for ASCII punishment but doesn’t have RSLogix5 available, I’ve included a PDF printout in the zip file ...

Last edited: