Search a tag in Factorytalk View

nfldr

Hello to everyone,

I have a question about how to find a tag where it is used in the Factorytalk View ME? Something like cross reference in the RSLogix 500/5000 or similar.

Thanks,

I haven't found an easy way. A crude way is to right click on the 'Graphics' header for the screens and do an export to XML files for all the screens. Then use Windows search on the resultant directory to find particular files where the specific tag exists. This won't find the tag as used in other areas like alarms though.

Hello Bernard Carlton, thank you for your help.

The .xml file doesn't work for me. I change all .xml files to .txt files under DOS, and then it works.

Thanks,

I always right click on XML and use Open With command and Choose Wordpad. Then you can use Search and Replace. Then Save and Import file back into project.

There is a FactoryTalk View Application Documenter that will give you what you need. I believe it is part of the install of version 5.1. Not sure about earlier versions though. Check the download section in the Rockwell web because I think that is where I got it the first time back when I was using version 4.x.

EDIT: Do a search of the Rockwell KB for answer ID 46928. You will be able to download the utility from there.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Last edited:
Thank for all reply!

I use 5.1 with Application Documenter. There is cross reference in the Application Documenter is what I am locking for. But I believe cwal61’s is best solution for modifications.

Thanks again everyone!

Don't forget, tag usage can be hidden inside Parameter Files.

:)
Thank for all reply!

I use 5.1 with Application Documenter. There is cross reference in the Application Documenter is what I am locking for. But I believe cwal61’s is best solution for modifications.

Thanks again everyone!

I always right click on XML and use Open With command and Choose Wordpad. Then you can use Search and Replace. Then Save and Import file back into project.

Hi cwal61, if we can Search and Replace a tag for all .xml files in a directory will be helpful.

If your tag is used in a screen graphics, I normally go to the screen and select all (ctrl-A). Then do substitute tag (ctrl-R). In the substitution list you search for your tag. If it listed - then go back to the screen and select half of it and do ctrl-R again. And do that until you will be able to find particular graphic object where your tag belongs to.

I just use the editor ConTEXT with all of my xml files opened at once and then did the Search and Replace with the Scope changed to "All Files". - That was a quick way change to 30+ screens.

Thx Bernie - you saved me a bunch of time hunting for tags!