Micro830 (MicroLogix) Mini-Din

dlweber

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for AB Micrologix Mini Din connector I need a the least some cable out the other end so I can connect to it.

I am making a Y cable between a Redlion Kadet 4.3" Micro830 and the programming cable.

I know normally a Y in a serial cable is a bad thing however there is two independent serial ports on the Redlion within the same DB-9 connector which make this kind of connection plausible, it was actually recommended to me by Redlion to do it this way, I just cannot find the AB 8pin Mini Din connector, I just sent 3 cables back to Digi-Key that do not work.

Any assistance would be appreciated, last ditch effort will to be buy a Allen Bradley cable and chop it up.

Thanks to both

Hmm normally Google pulls up the threads just as good as the standard forum one Google must have missed this site yesterday when I was looking, one of these days I can become unpoor and pay the membership fee for the site and use its Google search tool.

one of these days I can become unpoor and pay the membership fee for the site and use its Google search tool.

You don't need to be a member to do a custom Google search, just go to Google and put "site[colon]plctalk.net" after your search terms.

(Use the colon symbol--when I tried to do it here it put in a smiley.)

That would work, but I still want to contribute when I get a chance. This site has already helped me enough to make it worth it.

I came out of school knowing mostly microprocessors, fpga's, and elecronic theory. Only one class in PLC's, basic one. I have been working in a job involving PLC's and robotics for 5 months and this site has been invaluable at helping direct my knowledge of other systems and apply them to the world of PLC.

I already knew that the same programming concepts apply to both traditional code (microprocessor programming, computer code) and ladder a like it's more of how you implement those concepts.

FPGA's share some concepts, but really are there own little animal.

This site has already helped me enough to make it worth it.

Boy thats the truth... its save me many times

I like the old search better, I use it a few times a month, its un-real how many questions have been ask over the years (a lot by me) and the information you can find with a keyword

For anyone looking to do this... I have exchanged a few PM's and emails with dlweber, looks like the best thing to do is use a 1761-CBL-AM00 or HM02, both of these are the mini din 8 (we sell one with a 90 deg bent end) and splice into that cable as it has all the pins landed, the PM02 does not use all the pins, from us or AB

Thanks for updating this I was getting to it just had a few other piles on my desk to deal with.

Thanks again for all the help, it can be like pulling teeth from a tiger to get information on cables from some companies...btw I already ordered the cables.

Perhaps another option?

I've successfully used these cables from Radionics before on MicroLogix 1400 controllers....

RS Stock no. 463-518

They're straight, not 90 degree, but that wasn't an issue with the recessed ports on the ML1400 controllers.
They plug into ML1400 with relative ease, but I found them a bit tight on a ML1000 I tested on.
All 8 pins are populated with coloured wires at other end for user termination.

I still have a couple of new ones here in the office.

Regards,
George

Perhaps another option?

Hi George,

Looks like they would work fine, we sell 90 degree and straight

http://www.plccable.com/search.php?search_query=hm02&x=0&y=0

Looks like they are a standard mini din 8, this is the reason they are a little tight, AB removes or flattens out the two dimples on there mini din 8 connections that make it hard to fit

PS: Hope your boys are getting ready... http://www.rydercup.com/

dlweber said:
Thanks for updating this

No problem... I use the search on this site a few times a week so I understand about the help it does, its nice to find the answer

git,

The European Captain for Hazeltine 2016 should hopefully be announced next Wednesday. I'm hoping it's another Irishman, Darren Clarke. It's a 2 horse race really between himself and Miguel Angel Jimenez. Fingers X'd, but it's in the bag either way :p

The dimples might explain it alright for the ML1000?

I had first tried the RS cable with the ML1000 and found it very tight. It took a little bit more force than I'd normally like to exert on a port. I wouldn't recommend it for frequent plugging in and out for fear of damaging the ML1000's port over time. Once I "got it plugged", I didn't bother comparing it with AB plugs that closely. Connectivity works fine to a PowerFlex DSI port.

On the contrary, the same plug fits as easily as the AB plug into the ML1400's port, so there must be some physical difference between the ports used on these two controllers? Perhaps an intentional change was made, or else another manufacturer was in play when the newer 1400 went into production? It's like it's a little more forgiving to the different mini-DIN plugs on the market.

I can't comment on their fit in the ports of the other MicroLogix models.

Actually, I just noticed that dlweber was asking in regard to a Micro830 port, of which I haven't tried the RS cable in yet. I'll have a go later if I have one. I definitely have an 810 in stock, not sure on an 830?

dlweber,

Either way you've ordered AB cables already, so this is all a bit academic for you, but it might be an option others can consider down the road, if genius doesn't have a cable to fit!!!

G.

The standard mini din does not fit...tried it. It has been said that one can take a Dremel tool and remove those dimples to make them fit, but I didn't want to get into all that, just as easy for me to send them back and get the right ones.

If it was a home project I probably would have taken the dremel and removed the dimples, but for only a couple dollars (not my couple dollars and if maintenance ever had to replace that cable they would be like wtf was this ***hole thinking) more it is worth it to me to put the correct stuff in at work.