Indirect Adressing on a Plc 5

I need some good information to help exlain indirect addressing.

I understand it but not well enough to train our maintance department on troubleshooting it.

Is there a site or other information that will help

Thanks

Search

AutomationSteve you can search for indirect addressing. Right beside Downloads close to the top of page is Search and there is tons of info on this subject.

:site:

It looks like you've got your answer but I'll add this anyway.
One succinct, general description of indirect addressing I've always liked is:

N7:0 - is an address of data

N7:[N12:14] - is an address of an address

Greetings Steve,

... to train our maintance department on troubleshooting it.

indirectdemo.JPG

I’ve found this to be an effective way to help students visualize “what’s-going-on” with indirect addressing ... basically as you turn the “Display Value for Indirect Address” checkbox off and on, the indirect addresses in the ladder display will change as shown ... usually a few changes from one mode to the other and the students will say: “ok ... now I get it” ...

another helpful method is to describe the location inside the square brackets as a “pointer” ... in this sense the “pointer” allows us to “re-aim” the source or the destination of the instruction (the MOV, etc.) to point to various memory locations ...

The concept of "Indirect Addressing" can most easily be understood in the guise of a "Dispatcher at a Cab Service".

In the early days of Telephone, but before the days of Radio, a client would call the Cab Company and ask for a Cab to come, or go, to such-n-such address to pick up someone or something.

When he was available, the Cab Driver would report to the dispatcher at the "home address". The dispatcher would then provide the address for the driver's next pick-up. The "home address" was the address of the dispatcher back at the Cab Company. At that address, Louie DePalma, the dispatcher, would give the cabbie the address of his next pick-up.

The cabbie would always go to the dispatcher to find the address of his next pick-up. This is "indirect addressing"... the cabbie would go to the "home address" to get the address of his next next pick-up.

I've always wanted to describe this in terms of a beer truck making a delivery. That idea applies if you consider the "something" as beer!

Last edited: