Omni 6000 serial ethernet module

ElVale

Has anyone used and configured the serial/ethernet module in an Omni 6000? I'm having problems getting it connected to the network.

What are you trying to achieve, connecting to a network to access through a PC or have another device (PLC, DCS, SCADA) communicate with the Omni? You need to configure the Ethernet port in the Omni and give it a IP address and a modbus id. This can be done either through the front panel in program mode or connected to a PC with Omnicom software. You can download the Omnicom software free from Omni's website. If you give me a few more details I may be able to help.

Best,
Kenny

Last edited:
Hey Kenny. I have an Omni 6000 with one serial/ethernet module in the TB3 slot and a serial/serial module in TB4. I'm trying to set a computer with DCS Experion PKS R301 to read modbus registers from the omni throught Ethernet. I've managed to get Network Utility app to see the list of devices in the network and assigned an IP to the MAC address of the ethernet module. However when I ping that IP there's no response and can't get to read the modbus registers. Also I have a doubt: is Modbus ID configured in the "Host" menu the modbus slave number of the ethernet module?

ELVale,

Sorry it took me a while to get back with you, lost communications yesterday. You are going to have to set the IP address for the Omni directly on the Ethernet card.you do this with a 9 pin serial cable connected directly to the serial port on the Ethernet card ( a straight 9 pin serial cable). You will need to go in with hyper terminal to do this. Set the hyper terminal to com1 or what ever the serial port on the PC you are using. The communication parameters are 9600 8 none 1. Once you are connected hit enter and this should pull up a menu, you should be able to easily find what you need there. Setup the IP address and subnet mask for your network and also the modbus ID. Now you should be able to see your Omni on the network. Another thing you will have to do is log into the Omni with the Omnicom software and set up the custom modbus data packets. Then you will set up your master to poll those packets.

Let me know if this helps.

Best,
Kenny

Can not communicate the omni 6000 computer with pc

Dear Friends,
I have been trying to communicate to an Omni 6000 computer using the OMNICOM software. I am using a serial to ethernet cable terminated on TB3 of the ethernet module. The IP address of the OMNI is 10.0.0.1 while that of my PC is 10.0.0.4, on same subnet mask. On pinging, it shows there is a connection between the OMNI and my PC but can't connect online through the OMNI software.