Newbie timer question

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
Micrologix 1100 TON timer. I want the Preset to be a user OIT input. Software won't accept a variable for the preset? Does that mean that i have to (for example) put a 1 second timer in and run it over and over again until i have counted to the number of seconds that the user sets in place? Is there a easier way?

narlin

Couple of options:

1) Your OIT should be able to address the preset -- obviously we don't know what your OIT is, but, the timer preset would be T4:20.pre Make sure you're doing that format correctly.

2) Alternately, can you write to an integer (e.g. N7:20)? If so, just MOV the integer to the preset in your PLC (MOV n7:20 t4:20.pre)

It is safer (prevents negative presets and CPU faults) to limit check an integer and move it into the preset with one PLC instruction. It can also help keep your HMI addresses in succession which is more efficient than reading/writing data to/from many different files.

Also, with some HMI software, the .pre suffix on the address might have to be input differently. For example, with Crimson 3.0, you would enter T004:0015.01 to access T4:15.pre and T004:0015.02 to access T4:15.acc

Coincidentally, the .1 and .2 delimiters for counter and timer addresses also works with PanelBuilder32.

Last edited:
Also, with some HMI software, the .pre suffix on the address might have to be input differently. For example, with Crimson 3.0, you would enter T004:0015.01 to access T4:15.pre and T004:0015.02 to access T4:15.acc

Coincidentally, the .1 and .2 delimiters for counter and timer addresses also works with PanelBuilder32.

Learned something.... Thanks Okie!

You're welcome!

I was taking apart someone else's (working) .pba file and saw the .1 reference for his counters' presets a few years ago and thought it was odd. Then working with Crimson, I see they do the same thing too.

It is safer (prevents negative presets and CPU faults) to limit check an integer and move it into the preset with one PLC instruction. It can also help keep your HMI addresses in succession which is more efficient than reading/writing data to/from many different files.

Good point, and I have also seen / and . interchanged.