1770-kf2 series B or C

Bill. G

Hello, I am trying to connect a computer to a 5/15 processor using rslogix software.Not shure which interface to purchase,is there a major difference between the B or C series of Kf2s or will they both work.Has anyone used this method before?

Yes I have. I have even used the KF2 box to dial in via a modem to get online with a DH+ network.
In RSLinx you have to select "RS232 DF1 devices"
and then specify "device = 1772-KF2/1785-KE/SCANPort".
You then have to match the baudrate, stop bits etc. with the many DIP switches on the KF2 module.
When OK, in RSLinx you can then browse out from your PC via the KF2 module onto the DH+ network. If your PLC5/15 is connected to the DH+ network you can then go online.

It will work, but the KF2 is awfully slow.
For serious work consider a PCMK (PCMCIA card) or PKTX (PCI card).

edit: I dont think there will be a major difference between ser.B and ser.C with respect to going online with your PLC5/15

Last edited:
I think that the Series C version of the 1770-KF2 changed a couple of components, that's all. The maximum serial baud rate was also changed to 19200 baud, up from 9600.

You could look into the www.protocolconverter.com version of the 1770-KF2. I hear it works fine and is cheaper than the old A-B boat anchor model.

I use a 1784-PCMK/B so I don't deal with the KF2 except when I find it in customer sites with a lot of dust on top.