How do I get PLC Hands On Experience

pilotjoe

Hi All:

Thanks for this Forum. I am a Licensed Electrician in central New Jersey. I am working as a plant electrician for a water company and would like to get some hands on experience with PLC's. I have asked the company for training in this field but there responce is that " it's not my job" ?? Go Figure??? Anyway, I am learning on my own by the use of books such as the one from this site as well as others but I am not able to put what I have learned into real life action.

Companies do not want to take a chance on training someone on there equipment and I don't blame them. I would never let anyone work on something without proper guidance.

My question to this Forum is:

How do I get hands on experience with PLC's.

I am willing to work for a company part time after my normal hours. I don't know if this is appealing but I figure it's worth a shot. I understand that I will have to give a little in order to get a lot!!

Any help will be most apreciated.

Thank you
Joe

Hey Joe,

I would suggest that you buy your self an inexpensive PLC and software package like the DL05 from Automation Direct or look on EBAY for used equipment and software. Throw together a bunch of switches, buttons, and lights and try to duplicate systems that you have seen in use around you. That would give you some hands on programming experience. You could also benefit from taking some classes on your own at a local college if available. :D

Hi RDay:

Thanks for the idea. Does it matter what manufacture I use? I know AB is really big but isn't the core pretty much the same for all manufactures?

Thanks
Joe

The Rockwell/Allen Bradley Option....

I just learned last week that you can download a free version of RSLogix 500 Starter Software and RSLinx Lite software to upload and download to Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1000 10-point controllers.

RSLogix 500 Starter software is fully-functional when used with RSLinx Lite software and MicroLogix 10-point controllers, meaning the 6 input, 4 output variety. The 1761-L10BWB is $149 and a programming cable is $50. That means you have a real PLC (new with warranty) and software to train with, in a language that you will likely need to know.

Check out this link:

http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/

The link to the software and the Webstore are both on this page.

:eek: I feel that once you learn the basics it is fairly easy to cross apply your knowledge. AB is very widely used and AB has, in my opinion the best software for programming PLC's that I have ever seen. I was trained on AB stuff and I found it very easy to learn and use and didn't care much for other manufacturer’s software. Several of the guys at work have cut their teeth on other platforms such as Automation Directs Direct SOFT and they think that AB is harder to use. I use both now on a regular basis. I like both and find them on about the same level of usability. So I guess it is mainly a matter of opinion. But if you are looking to better yourself in your current job, you would likely benefit the most from learning on which ever brand has the majority in your plant. That is if cost is permissible, AB tends to be a bit pricey. :rolleyes:

Pilotjoe,

I've had very little experience with a few different PLCs. And it was in the pre-windows day. AB PLC5, SLC 100/150/500, GE series 5 and 6, and barebones. Most do operate in similar ways. I was an Instrument tech at an oil production facility and taught myself most everything that I know about PLCs. Most of the other maintenance guys were afraid of PLCs. It would have been easier if there was some formal training. I started out with a SLC 100/150 that we had laying around. My partner and I decided to use it to run our small air dryers in our shop. This was a no risk type of a thing. If it didn’t work no lost production no big deal. All I had for documents were the book that came with the processor, which was of little help. However I could write a little, then try a little and figured it out fairly well. I did get to go to an AB PLC-5 class at our local distributor. It was not worth the time or money. Now with the internet there is a mass availability of data. Download manuals off the web and read them. They won’t have everything but this forum is a great source if you need to fill in the missing parts.

Check out Koldwater.com. Stan has a plc-training program for $200. I ordered and have been using the Rslogix simulator, Logixpro for $35. It works great. I program a little, try a little, program a little, etc. It has the appearance of Rslogix. I’m going to order the training program since I’m so impressed with the simulator.

Andy

Andy,
I agree that the Logix Pro really helps. I also recommend using it. It's cheap and a great learning tool. I am currently taking a PLC course and It helps tremendously! I spend hours programming and testing at home befor inputting it in the AB PLC at school (it takes so long because PLC programming seems easy but it's not for me!) Anyway, give it a try.

I know the college I went to had PLC programming courses tailored for industrial electrians. if I recall correctly it was a couple of week course, and I dont think the price was to outragous! That sounds to me like a good place to start!

Good Luck

-Steve

Here in San Diego the communtity colleges offer a two year program in automation with a six month period with just PLC's, but as far as getting one home to mess around with buy one on E-Bay. You could also find some application in your current job and approach your boss saying you could save him XX amount of dollars (give a 5 year amount to make it really big) by adding a PLC. Then you tell him that it only costs a small amount to train you to use plc's and another small amount to install the plc. You might want to start with somthing small that you know you can get in and get running, once they see that it's not so scary you could really move bigger and better. Just figure out a way to make it seem like it was his idea somehow. The managment likes to see $$ and untill you can demonstrate that it will save them money and more profit, your just spinning your wheels. I work in a CRT plant, and at one time we didn't even have robots untill one guy (he's the plant manager now) proved the $$ savings. If you already have them where ever you work then figure out who works on them and buy them a beer, next time they need to do somthing to the plc tag along and soak up whatever knowledge they have to offer. Your going to learn more, faster that way.

Good luck!

hands on plc experience

I would check with suppliers you normally deal with to see if they have any software you could use for free to get the ins and outs of using it. The mitsubishi F/X series plcs are super cheap and generally cheaper than any application with parts requiring a few relays and four or more timers. The DOS based software is something I would check on. The windows based software is probably going to come with a price tag.

Regards,

David

beerchug IF YOU AQUIRE A MITSUBISHI PLC I WILL GLADLY SEND YOU A COPY OF MELSEC MEDOC,I GOT THIS FREE GRATIS FROM MITSUBISHI LAST YEAR,WHEN I GOT MYSELF AN OLD A-SERIES PLC WE TOOK OUT AT WORK.I NOW PRACTICE WRITING CODE AT HOME AND WHEN I MAKE MISTAKES IT DONT HURT ANYTHING.:)

CHEERS Sparki.

Learnig the system's

The way I am gaining ground may not be textbook BUT it works for me. I did the AB demo set, got the available software used it to it's limits, I have a few AB PLC 5/11's to install and get right. I pay close attention and ask A WHOLE SLEW of questions. Am I an expert, NO WAY but I am a willing student of those who ARE. This forum is a great place to help you learn. Ask questions, study, and read the threads, even a wild tangent can get you something. LOTS of info SO LITTLE TIME. Good luck Little Bob

Step 1 : Get one

Step 2 : Program it

Step 3 : Break it

Step 4 : Fix it

Step 5 : Return to step 1

Hi All:
I just purchased an AB Micrologix unit for 99.00 and the cable for 50.00. I will hook this baby up and see what happens. I am going to make this work and with your help I see no reason why it won't!! Thanks again for all your help. I like your way of thinking JDW!!!

Joe